Keyair

Help and advice for a novice planning to recover seating!

Went to my local Upholstery place on Friday, A1 Foam and Fabric is Santa Ana.

Got zips, scrim foam(1/4" and 1/2"), Hi Temp Glue. J clips, roll of listing and a roll of basting material.

Feeling confident, I moved forward... I marked joints and seams, took notes and got out the unpicker!

I guess there is no turning back now...

5BDDA764-3771-473D-B5B5-233A26A6BB0C_zps

I am a happy boy!

I learned a lot, and made some mistakes, but here is my first EVER attempt at a seat cover!:unsure:

Copied the shapes of individual pieces onto the leather, cut them out and glued to the foam.

04715188-DBE5-4809-BE02-123618666E04_zps

After doing the final cutting to size, which was kinda tricky as the original pieces were stretched and distorted somewhat, I joined the main panels.

9C2D29DB-AF79-4FE2-960A-D4E93446E8B5_zps

Then I added the side panels, and did a test fit on the foam.

F7A3ABD8-0AFD-4999-8643-43D96D78E3D6_zps

Added the rear panel, which was tricky due to the fact the leather and foam was much thicker than the original velour part, but its ok.

1491D9E4-B523-42D5-91EB-373C1ACC039F_zps

I then decide to add a reinforcing stitch to the seam... Not perfect, but I am happy.

Sewed on the listings, and J clips, then test fitted it.

Here it is as it sits tonight, warts and all. Needs a little steam, and to have the loose ends stretched and clipped still.

ADFAC006-0C82-42BF-A8DE-6F46344D2B53_zps

3BC11309-C3F7-44EB-BA66-C1164426A85C_zps

E66C46B9-4398-47BA-B0C1-580E5AFF70D4_zps

3BC11309-C3F7-44EB-BA66-C1164426A85C_zps

2DBC68F1-38BD-419C-91E9-32CC5F4D2C2A_zps

BBC8D2C3-AEFA-44A4-AB6B-5C3B441880FA_zps

Plan to steam it a little tomorrow to ease some of the wrinkles out...

Here is the mistakes I made and what I learned:

1/ I used 1/2" scrim for the face and bolster, and 1/4" for the sides and front. Original panels were 3/8 on leather and less on fabric and vinyl. Should have used 1/4" for it all, as the thicker foam was less manageable.

2/ Copied the original panels exactly, including the original selvage, which was 3/8" on the leather, 1/4" on the other materials. It was tough with the leather and foam I used to hold the lines. I should have, and will allow 1/2 next time.

3/ Should have used a dark brown thread to join panels together. The joint thread is visible in some areas.

4/ #1 and #2 contributed to a less than perfect seam, which made following the joint tricky and I wander a little on the contrast stitch.

Man, its hard work... my hand and forearms are tired tonight, but I am pretty pleased. The Backrest is next!

Edited by Keyair
Pic error

For the record...

This is the OEM, soggy, saggy, velour monster that was in the Airstream from new, and the Black RR seat as I got it from the Junkyard!

001-46_zps715a727f.jpg

No comments?

Ok, well I found some thread that matches the leather better for the joint stitch.. will press on.

I am sorry no one has replied I don't have any advice to offer but I have enjoyed reading your story so far and look forward to seeing how you progress.

Keyair - I'm with my63... I can't offer advice as I have no experience with upholstery, but the seat looks great. The RV is going to be beautiful when you're done. Did you polish it yourself? Looks great! If you're keeping it for yourself,  as I'm sure you've thought of this...consider is keeping it to the original style as much as possible. If you decide to sell it down the road, folks want the "vintage/original" look. Can't wait to see it all finished! I have acquaintances who restore vintage RVs for a living and they are beautiful.

Thanks Peeps.

I'm not an attention seeker, I was just seeking comment and constructive criticism. Over on the Garage Journal, someone comments that I should tighten up the stitch for the panel joins, as it will pull less and tighten the joint. Valid point that I will take onboard.