myjtp

Long stitching Pony, anyone tried it?

I'm going to mainly saddle stitch belts and saw this on eBay.  Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this longer stitching pony? If i bought it or made it i would wrap leather around the clamps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Sewing-Horse-Leathercraft-Table-Pony-Vice-Clamp-Leather-Stitching-Pony-/302128129668?hash=item46583d6684:g:QSkAAOSwPCVX7O08

long-stitching-pony.jpg

I'm planning on constructing one that will be a bit more stout, always wrap jaws in leather. Plus it will be attached to the legs on my work table and it can adjust to any height (stand or sit). Build one that works for you, not one that you find on eBay. You will build two, the first one and then one that fits you

17 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

I'm planning on constructing one that will be a bit more stout, always wrap jaws in leather. Plus it will be attached to the legs on my work table and it can adjust to any height (stand or sit). Build one that works for you, not one that you find on eBay. You will build two, the first one and then one that fits you

Yup good advice. I was leaning towards building a custom one :)

Mine has 6" jaws. When I use it I have it positioned so that the belt is at right angles to my body so that I can see either side if I need to. I can see problems trying to use a long one like that because of the way I sew (although it might work for you?).

I would probably have difficulty seeing the stitching 18" away from my chest. I certainly do when sewing the gussets into messenger bags.

I'm just getting ready to cut the jaws for another stitching horse. The jaws will be 17 inches long up from base, with a wide arch to fit larger items. I  want to make it so it can adjust for reach and view. A cushioned seat and strong legs! I might make a tutorial