Wow I found an add on craigslist for a campbell harness stitcher.  The add had been running for 6 months and started at 4000, 3000, 2000, best offer.  I called and scheduled a visit.  The stitcher has been sitting for around 20 years.  Was purchased for a business that never got off the ground so machine was put in storage.  When i saw this stitcher it looked a little rough.  I offered 1200 and to my surprise he quickly said yes.

I got the Campbell home and called Campbell Randall and discovered it was a Randall.  I oiled it, cleaned all the dust off (lots of dust over 20 years) oiled, cleaned, ordered parts, timed, adjusted and turned her over.  She was stiff so I oiled her again and again untill she was smooth.  I got some thread and threaded her up, wound a bobbin and put in a double piece of 15 oz and sewed it by hand (she did not come with a table) but she stitches like a dream.  Nice tight stitches through 1/2 inch of leather, 1/4 in leather.  

Got to get a table, motor and speed reducer to try her out for good.  20 years of sitting now she's mine.

IMG_0132.JPG

This is how the Randall looks after she is cleaned up.

IMG_0138.JPG

You got a heck of a deal on a SWEET machine. You will love it!  There isn't another machine made that makes a prettier stitch.

Nice machine! A rescue that can be brought back to life.

I remember seeing that add, its been on there alot longer than 6 months by the way. Really wanted to offer on it just didnt have the cash. Congrats on being able to pick it up. Good luck with the ol stitcher its a nice looking one. Gotta love the old iron machines ecspecially ones as good as those guys are. 

Hello, 

where do I find the serial number on this stitcher?  The data plate is missing but I would assume that there would be a stamped sn somewhere.

Bootmaker I cant be for sure but thought there was a thread about the serial numbers for these or I could have gotten confused with a landis 1 thread.

If ya cant get an answer I am sure a quick phone or email to campbell randall would get you the info, I know they have always returned my emails in a very timely fashion. 

Madmax thank you.  I live in North Bend.  When I get this running, if you would like, you'll have come do some sewing.  If its not to far away.

Really appreciate the offer but I am over here on the puget sound area. Unfortunately when I go to that side for work I do my best to get back across the water as soon as possible. Your lucky to live in the north bend area, its really nice over there.  

Old post but I just saw the serial number question.  The serial number on these Randall machines was marked two places.  First the brass tag, obviously missing, and the second place is on the top of the base casting on the oval shaped flat beneath the edge guide stand.