ZigZag

411 clone max thread thickness

Hi all, I'm wondering what the max thread thickness is for the cowboy 4500 type machines.

I know they are rated at 415 max thread, but has anyone successfully used a thicker thread?

Also wondering about the make up of the thread. The usual thread is twisted 3 strand nylon or polyester. Has anyone tried braided thread like the Tiger Ritza or maybe even artificial sinew, I guess the split fibres might be a bit tricky with this option.

thanks

Nick

A lot comes down to practice and experience as there are members here who have done it but others struggle

Any thread run through the 441 clones must have a left hand twist, or it will unravel or split. I have managed a short run of 5 cord Barbour's Irish Linen thread through my Cowboy CB4500, after running it through Puritan's Ceroxylon wax. This messed up the entire thread path, including the eye of the needle. I believe that is is best to limit the use of waxed thread to either hand stitching or a needle and awl machine, with a barbed needle.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:44 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Any thread run through the 441 clones must have a left hand twist, or it will unravel or split. I have managed a short run of 5 cord Barbour's Irish Linen thread through my Cowboy CB4500, after running it through Puritan's Ceroxylon wax. This messed up the entire thread path, including the eye of the needle. I believe that is is best to limit the use of waxed thread to either hand stitching or a needle and awl machine, with a barbed needle.

Oooh yeah.  Had one of those come into the shop a few months ago.  Caked on wax was everywhere.  Took me hours to dissassemble and hot dip everything to get the wax off.  $$$!

Oh, and yes, I tried running triple braided thread through the 4500 several times with various size needles and thread.  The friction of the braid through the eye of the needle was far too high, and keep causing stitch issues.  I can't recommend it.  

I have since found out that Ritza do an unwaxed, braided machine thread I think it's called '44' and available in different thicknesses.