Mattsbagger

Belt questions

Making a belt. 7/8 outside 4/5 lined. Do I skive the buckle ends before I laminate or after?

If you want, you can end your liner right before the tongue hole. Go ahead and dye that edge and burnish it. When you get the glueing done and you go to sew it you can start a couple stitches onto the double layer, then back up just over the edge, sew the belt and when you get to the other side stitch just over your edge then back up a couple stitches.  Basically your liner will be 4 inches shorter than the rest of the belt.

I hope any of that make sense. Doing it that way makes a nice pocket for the center bar and it keeps the bulk down. 

I have done it several ways.  I have seen people skive the bottom side of both layers before glueing. I have seen people skive the liner after its glued.  Which way is best... I dont know.

Edited by HBAR

Thanks. Will probably try a couple different ways see what works best. Just check to see if there was a "right" way to do it.

it may look better if you skive the lining end down to where it "disappears" behind the flap and then just sew up to the end and rely on the snap to hold the end in place instead of sewing across the belt

IF I'm using a 4 oz liner, I run teh liner up to the slot for the buckle, fold the top OVER the liner (for about 3 1/2").  The back side of the front strap does not show unless you unfold it.

IF I'm using an 8 oz liner (which is rare), then I stop the liner even with the folded over top piece, so there is no gap and no overlap (butt joint).

I bring my liner right up to the buckle tongue slot and then fold the outer layer over that.  Only adds an 1/8" and once broken in, don't even notice it.

beltend.jpg