Sign in to follow this  
MaddCelt

Spear sheath

Here is one of my more recent works.

DSCF1603.jpg

Good looking spear sheath! First time I see one around here.

Using an awl instead of punching holes would improve greatly on the overall affect I think.

Tom

Yea, unfortunetly I don't have one handy. I had thought of using a sticking punch but not until I started on the hole punching.

I can't say I have ever seen a spear sheath before. Not even in a museum.

I like the way the tooling fits the design. Nice job, but, like Tom I might have used an awl rather than a punch. Actually, I'm inclined to think the sheath would have looked more attractive with lacing rather than stitching but it looks perfectly workmanlike and functional as it is.

Has anyone ever seen an 'ancient' example of spear sheath - and where?

I have heard of armies covering their spear tips with cloth to prevent reflection. I have read of the Irish doing that when buring their king. But aside from that I do not think there was an actual sheath for spears.

I used it as an excuse to tool. I noticed the artwork on a magazine edge, so I adapted it wit a Thors Hammer on the bottom :)

Well you never know, jsut because we havnt heard of it or dug it up yet doesnt mean that some group somewhere didnt do it. Unless we get a time machine we wont trully know everthing about human history.

Anyways nice sheath, that turned out really good.

One thing like the others the holes, if you wanna use holes to sew with use a (think its a 5/64) drill bit. Maybe a little larger if your thread is really big but I have used that size and it works out great and gives it a really good look. You wont really see the holes but you wont have that cant on each stitch it will just all be lined up.

I like it, its Original. And if you wanted, you could probably still lace it over top of the stitching.

:evillaugh:

I would think that being on the tip of the spear (excuse the pun there), the holes would actually add to the overall effect as viewed from the ground....especially if there was an entire row of spears. Looks like you may have started a new "must have" !

A very good look. I sometimes carry a spear when vending at Renaissance Faires, and I made a sheath, too, but just a quickie...nowhere as nice as yours. All those sharp pointy things need to be sheathed at RF's, or the faire security force has a fit. I've tried using an awl, and I thought it was an awlful chore. (sorry) I drill or punch holes if I'm sewing. But I often opt for practicality when doing production, and less on the artistry.

Daggrim

Spear sheath COOL! I think that's an awesome idea. Never seen one but that's probably because I don't know many people that own spears...

I like it.

It seems to be 'right' for what it is.

I like the design balance, the way the shapes work together.

Nice job.

Cheers,

Karl