Rayban

Concern with oil-tanned

I'm planning on making myself a camera bag. I ordered some oil tanned leather that looks pretty nice, but upon opening the package, I see that the packing slip wrapped around the leather is spotted with oil.

Got me to thinking....is this a good leather to make a camera bag with?  Will the oils in it affect the camera, lenses, etc. in any way?

Comments? experiences with oil tanned?

Thanks.

If it's oil-tanned, the oil will migrate some.  When used for work boots, etc., the extra flexibility and water-resistance is worth the risk of stained socks after walking in a puddle.

For a camera case I would look at something that had its water-resistance from wax not oil, so perhaps bridle or just plain veg tan. You can use Lexol conditioner more safely than some oils because it does not migrate as much.  Also, you can line it with fabric or veg tan to protect the camera equipment, as well as applying water and stain protectant to the case inside and out.

Edited by johnv474

Yep, line it.  I'd use soft suede on the interior.  Good oil tanned leather will sometimes show little beads of oil when you flex it.  Not the greatest on all items, but boy is it water-resistant!