Bigfoote

Jerimiah Watt quick change edging tool

Anyone else using the Jerimiah Watt quick change edging tools? I just got a set which were recommended by Nigel Armitage, and was really happy with the first couple cuts. That said I found mine dulled very quickly, less than four feet of edging, and I can't seem to get an edge on them now. Really disappointed, hoping it's just my blade, and wondering if anyone can help me out with a suggestion for sharpening. I'm thinking I may just have got a bad blade with a poor temper? Has anyone else used them, and what is your opinion? Thanks. 

Same here.  They cut pretty nice.. for a little while...

Hey Thanks JLS, I was wondering, and actually a little afraid to say something about one of the premier tool producers. I sent them a note, will wait for a reply, and let you know what they say. Have a great day!

Yeah, I was seriously misled by Mr. Armitage as well, not happy at all with the Jeremiah Watt quick change edge tools.  Will probably never buy anything from them ever again I was so unhappy.  Not to mention my loss of faith in Mr. Armitage following that review - calls into question *all* of his reviews of any tool.  I won't be taking his word for anything without checking elsewhere again I'm afraid.

YinTx

and P.S., I really don't like to leave negative comments about people or products... but that was going out there some saying how great these tools are and how they just keep going and going and stay sharp, when they don't stay sharp enough to edge one belt. Just upset me.

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

I really don't like to leave negative comments about people or products

I don't go out of my way to say something "negative", but I will do it.  I tell my kids not to play in the street -- I'm not being "mean" or "negative", just trying to save us all some pain.

On the other hand, if you get me a GOOD product, I'll say that too!

I don't think this reflects on Watt's tools in general, but there are three of us so far that have found the quick change edgers don't hold an edge. My Tandy edger cuts a crappy edge, but at least it stays sharp.

Edited by Bigfoote
add quote

When did you all order yours? I haven't ordered them but I've been interested in them for a bit.

I'm really wondering if it wasn't a bad batch. I'd like to believe Nigel wouldn't endorse an inferior product. I'm not defending his review, but he has his own reputation to uphold.

I just got mine a week or so ago. I was hoping that I had received a bad tool as well, but seems there are a few others? I am working with them and hope that maybe a few of us got some poorly tempered ones. I think Watt tools have a very good reputation for putting out great quality tools, and they have been very quick to address my problem. I'm not knocking their tool, just wondering if any other folks had the same problem I had.

I wasn't implying anyone was knocking them. A poor tool is a poor tool. I hope they take care of the problem and get everyone fixed up.

I bought one after reading Nigel's recommendation. It dulled quickly and now I consider it a waste of money.  Perhaps he was given better steel to test?

Mine were from a year ago.  Still junk.

Just wondering if anyone else is telling Jerimiah Watt they are having this problem? Unless we let them know they may not know there is a problem. I have contacted them and am waiting for a second reply, holidays and all I am sure I will get another e-mail next week. I'm also going to send Nigel Armitage a note and ask him if he is actually using the tool, and if so has he had any problems with it holding an edge. On another note I'm wondering how everyone edges their projects wet or dry? I have always done it dry, found my Tandy tool cuts better when the leather is dry. Let me know.

I edge my stuff dry. I have heard that cutting and edging is easier on cased leather. Since I don't really do any tooling my stuff is no longer wet at the edging phase.

I use mostly chrome tan leathers and do my edging dry.

I have bought many of Jeremiah Watts tools excluding the quick change.  They all are excellent and beautiful tools.  I have not complaints.  My only comment is his tools are more for saddle makers.  So they work better with thicker leathers.  Other then that very happy!

7 hours ago, 24VOLTS said:

I have bought many of Jeremiah Watts tools excluding the quick change.  They all are excellent and beautiful tools.  I have not complaints.  My only comment is his tools are more for saddle makers.  So they work better with thicker leathers.  Other then that very happy!

Unfortunately I have only purchased the Quick Change edger so I can't comment on anything else though I have been told by many his tools are very high quality. I think they are sending me some new blades, and so far my e-mail to Nigel Armitage has gone unanswered. I have been using 10 oz leather, edging it while dry, so I don't think the weight of leather is the issue. I think some of us received badly tempered blades.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:29 AM, YinTx said:

Yeah, I was seriously misled by Mr. Armitage as well, not happy at all with the Jeremiah Watt quick change edge tools.  Will probably never buy anything from them ever again I was so unhappy.  Not to mention my loss of faith in Mr. Armitage following that review - calls into question *all* of his reviews of any tool.  I won't be taking his word for anything without checking elsewhere again I'm afraid.

YinTx

Read below

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:13 AM, JLSleather said:

Same here.  They cut pretty nice.. for a little while...

Read below

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Sonydaze said:

I bought one after reading Nigel's recommendation. It dulled quickly and now I consider it a waste of money.  Perhaps he was given better steel to test?

Just for your information, I received a reply from Nigel Armitage and he said his students have been using the edgers for a while now and haven't had any problems. He said he hasn't even had to strop his set yet. Obviously we received some defective ones. If you haven't contacted Mr Watt yet do so, I'm sure you will get help.

It's nice to see people getting taken care of by a business.

16 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

It's nice to see people getting taken care of by a business.

Bikermutt, if you are still thinking of purchasing a set, I found they are a little smaller than the same number in the Tandy ones. They said they haven't had any complaints yet and they are replacing the ones I have had problems with. They do cut a beautiful edge when they work!

Right now I'm saving up for a knipknife. But I will get a set soon enough.

Interesting read...
Garry sent me a link to this thread stating a few people have had issue with the QC Beveler from Horse Shoe Brand Tools.
That is unfortunate to hear, mine is still going strong and given the price of it that is quite remarkable.
However, I know Garry has been in touch with the HSBT and hopefully will receive replacement blades, I take it those of you unhappy with the tool have done the same and given Jeremiah the opportunity to rectify the issue?
If he doesn't know there is an issue with the tool, he can't fix it.
It is a cheeper alternative to a decent beveler, that is to be accepted, but mine is still working well and has had no maintenance. 
Most of my students try it and it works well for all of them.
I can only imagine that a manufacturing process may have changed at some point, but i know many people have bought these and are still using them very happily.

This is certainly the first occasion I have heard people complain about them.
If you have an issue, let Jeremiah know and give him a chance to rectify it.

Nige

Edited by Dangerous Beans

On 1/12/2017 at 8:00 PM, Dangerous Beans said:

I can only imagine that a manufacturing process may have changed at some point, but i know many people have bought these and are still using them very happily.

This is certainly the first occasion I have heard people complain about them.
If you have an issue, let Jeremiah know and give him a chance to rectify it.

Absolutely fair statement. I must say I was pretty bent originally considering the performance I felt I got from my purchase, and I was clearly not giving the supplier an opportunity to rectify the situation before venting.  As well as the reviewer, Mr. Armitage, so my apologies.  I will see what if anything they do regarding my purchase.

YinTx

Just getting started in leather work I first spent some time devouring youtube videos which is where I came across Nigel's review of these edgers. Being reasonably priced they looked ideal for a beginner so I ordered a set in late November.

My first opportunity to try the edgers was a few weeks ago when I made my first item a wallet. I struggled to get a decent edges, but put it down to poor technique and thought not much further about it. Getting ready for my next project I decided to spend some time trying to get a decent edge on the leather, but I just can't seem to get the edgers to cut. I don't have a great selection of leather to experiment with right now, just some 1.6mm veg tan, I have tried both the size 0 and size 1 blades on it and all they seem to do is skirt across the surface of the leather, rounding it but not cutting. 

Watching Nigel's video it all seems so easy so I am wondering if it is the tools, the leather or me. I am not keen to send them back until I have tried another edger to make sure it is the tools, especially as it involves international shipping. So I was looking for ideas or a recommendation for another reasonably priced edger I could try?

Thanks,
Clive

1 hour ago, clivel said:

Just getting started in leather work I first spent some time devouring youtube videos which is where I came across Nigel's review of these edgers. Being reasonably priced they looked ideal for a beginner so I ordered a set in late November.

My first opportunity to try the edgers was a few weeks ago when I made my first item a wallet. I struggled to get a decent edges, but put it down to poor technique and thought not much further about it. Getting ready for my next project I decided to spend some time trying to get a decent edge on the leather, but I just can't seem to get the edgers to cut. I don't have a great selection of leather to experiment with right now, just some 1.6mm veg tan, I have tried both the size 0 and size 1 blades on it and all they seem to do is skirt across the surface of the leather, rounding it but not cutting. 

Watching Nigel's video it all seems so easy so I am wondering if it is the tools, the leather or me. I am not keen to send them back until I have tried another edger to make sure it is the tools, especially as it involves international shipping. So I was looking for ideas or a recommendation for another reasonably priced edger I could try?

Thanks,
Clive

I would contact them. Seems they had a problem and want to fix it (you may not even have to send the old ones back).

When I knew nothing at all the cheap Tandy edgers still cut.