JLSleather

Hermann Oak pricing 2017

In today's mail ...

HO A-grade $7.81 up to 8 oz, $7,95 above 8 oz

Backs add 1.45 / ft

Making HO A backs $9.26 / ft

HO_2017.pdf

Always pays to buy from the tannery if ya can. 

Still always surprised (ok not really) how much places jack the prices up on the old world harness, scene it literally $150 more per side. 

49 minutes ago, Bolt Vanderhuge said:

Can an average joe buy from them and is there a minimum purchase requirement?

Yes its on the pricing sheet he posted and on there website. You can buy from them if you can make the minimum order. 

Well, the economy of it is a no-brainer.  10 backs is about $1850-1900, depending on weight.  Anywhere else, a back is going to run $225-$250 each - so going to HO saves you at least $50 per piece ($500 on a 10-pak), PLUS 10 shipping charges (another $200-ish), PLUS you're getting A grade (which the "retailers" aren't sending, with the exception of Goliger).

Now, if you're in a location where it's difficult to control humidity, that might make a case for not buying multiple hides, otherwise ...  if you will use 10 or more, best to save your money until you can buy them all at once, if that's what it takes (I cheat.. swipe a card ;) ).

Or, if someone else is doing leather - say within 100 miles of you -- maybe get together and 'split' an order (get it.. "split"... leather... uh nevermind..)  A guy could drive over and pick up his 5 sides for about what the retailers are jacking up EACH piece.

Edited by JLSleather

For a normal hobbyist their min order don't fit the budget. Unless do a group buy. Did this frequently when was making beer yet the group buys were too far. Main reason I buy from springfield leather. I wish I had some 2-3 or even 2 oz but gotta wait ;). Sure would like to work with bridle. Sometimes I don't like messing with the dyes. Even got lazy using eco crap cause it's easy to clean up. 

Edited by Chrism

Does Herman Oak provide a Strait cut back (Like actual strait edge) or will they cut the backs strait for the order? 

Well, yeah... it's purdy straight.  I generally start taking leather off teh OTHER side (along the spine) so put my own straight edge on it.  I guess I always thought of that cut they do at HO as just removing the belly.

I aint like somebody just put on a blindfold and slashed it "somewhere around here".. :rofl:

DSC00844.jpgHere's one of 'em.. the left side is the belly side.. it's THEIR cut.

Just bought a HO 8/9oz TR side from a local vendor. Looked at their A and B's, and was NOT impressed. They were right out of shipping wrapper so I assume they were not pre-sorted, But those hides looked like ass.

The TR I bought was much nicer than most of the A and B's.   It was $6.5sq around 23 ft. So not a bad price considering. 

I'm nervous making a big order from them now. 

O'h, and i destroyed half the bend by using a shitty tandy wood strap cutter. It was measured and tightened down hard, and still drifted over cutting 10 strips. Started at 1.25" and ended at 1.75ish......  Plough gauge, here I come.

Might have to try W&C Backs next time. HO was not impressive at all. Even their Brindle they had was pretty shitty. 

Edited by KeithHideWorks

10 minutes ago, KeithHideWorks said:

Just bought a HO 8/9oz TR side from a local vendor. Looked at their A and B's, and was NOT impressed. They were right out of shipping wrapper so I assume they were not pre-sorted, But those hides looked like ass.

The TR I bought was much nicer than most of the A and B's.   It was $6.5sq around 23 ft. So not a bad price considering. 

I'm nervous making a big order from them now. 

O'h, and i destroyed half the bend by using a shitty tandy wood strap cutter. It was measured and tightened down hard, and still drifted over cutting 10 strips. Started at 1.25" and ended at 1.75ish......  Plough gauge, here I come.

Might have to try W&C Backs next time. HO was not impressive at all. Even their Brindle they had was pretty shitty. 

Well I wouldnt let some local vender hides get in the way of your opinion of HO. By the way they probably get the TR grade or lowest grade possible more than likely and sort out the "better" ones and call them A and B sides. However if your getting them at that price I would use those to practice with while you learn to use your tools and find out what works and what doesnt. 

Does HO mark them A and B on the flesh side?  They all were marked from the factory with the HO stamp and the sqft, but the actual grades were like a blue pen on the corner. 

I am wondering if they had pre-sorted them?

$6.5 was the TR2 price/deal. I have spent over a grand there the last couple months. I think the A/B were around 9-10/ft.  

Edited by KeithHideWorks

As far as I know and remember HO just marks the sq/ft. They may do the stamp as well but dont recall. Never scene vegtan marked with a grading mark from the tannery WC or HO. 

So most places that I know of when they order large quantities from a tannery get TR (unselected grade), basically they pull the next 100 or 200 hides or just get a pallet full basically, no real sorting. Some are gonna be A some B some more like D. Atleast thats my understanding for resellers. Now if your some big wig manufacturer that they supply on a regular basis they may have a deal for selecting all A grade leathers regardless of the large quantity they get however that is just a guess on my part as I dont know or have worked for a big name manufacturer. 

Yeah, basically "TR" means some of all grades.  And HO does mark them -- there's a "A" or a "B" in the corner of each one when it arrives from the tannery.  This doesn't mean someone else doesn't mark them as well.

I haven't had any issues with ordering from HO.  They send a mix of "A" and "B" --  tell em you want their best, and you'll get about 80% "A" and 20% "B" hides.  Even the B's are quite clean and firm.

I have ordered from a number of places, all claiming to be selling HO "A" and "B" grades, and none of it has been anywhere near as nice as the stuff from the tannery. And some was quite bad... nothing like what the tannery sends.  Since I wasn't there to see who was doing what... can't really say WHY,... but order from  the tannery is always the way to go.

Kicking this up, what with all the questions and comments lately about leather cuts and quality.  This is what leather is supposed to look like - this isn't a "stellar" piece I hand picked by going through a stack , it's one of 10 standard HO leather from HO, all look about the same.  

Weird, I didn't get the new price list this year, or maybe I did and it's at the old address ..

Um ..... Am I missing something?  I dont see a pick!

Back on Jan 30, 7 posts ↑

Yup figerd it out after I posted:crazy: