Fredrik

Santa was late this year - 3 vintage (Landis?) skivers/cutter

Hi, just received these skivers/cutter. Labeled AB Praktiska Nyheter (direct translation "Limited Company Practical News"). But they seem to be Landis (from what I've found online). They are quite rare in Sweden so information about them is very limited. And now I'm wondering if you could help me out. They are DIRTY and I'm trying to clean them up (I'm a "get everything disassembled and start from scratch" kind of guy).

IMG_20161229_164955_zpshxxcwc52.jpg

All seems to be working but are greasy/dirty from years of storage. The "sole cutter" seems to be missing it's "width adjuster" thingie. 

IMG_20161229_225750_zps9ly0zh0i.jpg

The skiver looks identical to this Landis:

1013skiver2.JPG

Quite greasy...

IMG_20161230_001140_zpslo2vfvt4.jpg

IMG_20161230_003334_zpsmyttuc1f.jpg

I've started to take it apart to clean it but now I'm stuck... :) Do I have to wack something? Do I have to pull something? :D

IMG_20161230_160654_zpsj6gs1kms.jpg

IMG_20161230_160659_zps6pmmasjm.jpg

IMG_20161230_160707_zpsrstkats2.jpgIMG_20161230_160620_zpswb9fgiwi.jpg

I'm stubborn and want to learn/do it myself...

Anyone who can help out?

On that smooth roller the gear next to it has a pin in it, you can make it out in the pic you posted. That will have to come out before the shaft can be removed. The other gear looks like it has a set screw. The rollers probably have either a key or a pin/screw as well just gotta take a look. Atleast the drive roller should (the toothy one). 

These things are held together by set screws and a bunch of set/alignment pins. Not all are very obvious. I kind of rebuilt my american splitter and it was a bugger to get taken apart the first time. 

imageproxy.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

6 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

On that smooth roller the gear next to it has a pin in it, you can make it out in the pic you posted. That will have to come out before the shaft can be removed. The other gear looks like it has a set screw. The rollers probably have either a key or a pin/screw as well just gotta take a look. Atleast the drive roller should (the toothy one). 

These things are held together by set screws and a bunch of set/alignment pins. Not all are very obvious. I kind of rebuilt my american splitter and it was a bugger to get taken apart the first time. 

imageproxy.jpg

Thanks! I've noticed that they seem to be a tiny but larger on one side. I wasn't sure so I didn't want to break anything before having it verified. Thank you very much for the info! 

Those are tapered pins on the rollers and indeed larger on one side than the other. Landis liked using them, American did not as much. Most have been peened over on the smaller end. One some the peen on the small end is about the same size as the head on the big end. You will need to carefully grind that peen off first. Then carefully drive out the pin. Here is something to consider. Do you REALLY want to do that??? I do not know the availability of those pins where you are at. Here I have exactly one local hardware that carries any kind of a selection of them.

If you are going to be tearing it down to repaint, then that is one thing. If you are looking to clean it up and use it I'd consider a good steam cleaning and hand cleaning the rollers and leaving the pins as is. 

Machine shop should be able to re-create pins for you. Got one in your area?  Back when I "worked", I often made pins of various sizes to replace "unreplaceable" parts on things from shafts to outboard motors.

One day when I have room, I simply MUST get a metal lathe... put all that training to some use after all ;)

One other thing you may already know is if you dont have them get some brass rods (brass driving punches) in a couple of sizes and a brass hammer as well. 

To echo what Bruce was saying my American splitter had a mix of tapered and straight pins and various set screws. Only one pin was peened over on the small side and it was in a rough spot to get out so was the only real pain when taking it apart. That I recall anyways. 

Thanks for the feedback guys! 

How sensitive is the parts if I clean them? If I don't take it apart and just clean it with water and then grease it up it should be OK? What should I use to grease with? 

The american recommends oil for all the oil holes and the gears. I went ahead and put grease on the gears and use oil in the oil holes for the bushings basically. 

Its all basically solid bushings, gears, and shafts so not much really. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Same as MadMax22, I oil the holes and grease the gears. I grease the covered gears pretty good but only lightly grease the gears by the rollers to prevent messing much with the leather.  

These Landis cranks are a little different than the Americans. The Landis drives off the top roller and the gears connect the top and bottom to synch the rollers. On the Americans the bottom roller has a drive shaft with universal joints within the frame. I grease the heck out of that. 

Took the 6" skiver was quite easy to take apart(and put together) and clean. It kind of makes you wonder what these was used for back in the days. The wear points to either careless use or dinosaur leather... 

Sadly one of the bolts that holds one of the pinion wheels is crooked (which has lead to the wheel getting damage/wear to one side). Does anyone know if parts are available from anywhere? It looks to be a landis 6" skiver. 

Thanks for all the help.