jimi

Singer 29k171 "Another journey to the unknown"

2 hours ago, jimi said:

Wiz, thanks for the info. have you tried the large gearbox in the 171??  this one here measures 197mm long and has about a 4mm gap at the end. has anyone actually tried fitting a large bobbin gearbox in a 171??? 

No. The needle hole would be ~5mm too far to the left of the needle.

Jimi, thats why I asked for the parts number. ;) I assumed the large bobbin gear box would probably fit. I once had the chance to try a 29K60 gear box (large bobbin) but it did not fit. Too bad. But I kowno there once was a large bobbin short arm patcher but that was one of the Jap "U" Singers afaik.

Thank you gentlemen. i will forget about that experiment then. meanwhile i will clean up the base and upload the progress.

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Jimi, thats why I asked for the parts number. ;) I assumed the large bobbin gear box would probably fit. I once had the chance to try a 29K60 gear box (large bobbin) but it did not fit. Too bad. But I kowno there once was a large bobbin short arm patcher but that was one of the Jap "U" Singers afaik.

Consew makes what they badge as a "29B" these days, which is a short arm/large bobbin machine equipped for the handwheel to be mounted in either position.  A couple of other importers also handle similar models, long or short arm.  I've not seen exactly which components of their castings were copied to use original Singer parts, but it may open up a new avenue for you to explore. I couldn't wait out the avaricious hardware speculators in my area, so I bought a new Consew, since I needed its capacities. I replaced the hook which came with mine with a high-quality Japanese version made for an original large-bobbin Singer, and so far all the parts made for Singers have been drop-in fits.

-DC

29_badge2.jpg

29_badge.jpg

Thank you Sark9 for the info, very nice looking clone you got there. it looks well made? changing over parts is an option left to explore but by the looks of things large gearbox`s  seems to look wider also. it may be possible but i think some milling to the gearbox would have to be done?? 

Here is a quick update: parts arrived and took a bit of fitting! first of all the leading piñon did not come with a screw and the original did not fit! so luckily i had a screw that had the same thread. ( not a good one there from CS, they should send the screw included in their new part).DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

so had to make up a new one.

DSC_0214.JPGDSC_0215.JPGDSC_0216.JPG

then the following piñon did not fit on the post!! had to be filed a bit on the inside diameter, when i say a bit it means not just like taking a burr off. so finally got them in and noticed the eccentric cam was loose. that done i checked the shuttle and saw it had a little wear in the thread path, nothing serious.DSC_0228.JPG

you see that line coming from the hole on the left going horizontal? so put it in and after a lot of birds nests, changing shuttles, adjusting the timing....

DSC_0227.JPG

i finally found the culprit!!..

DSC_0211.JPG

yes... the new shuttle carrier that the previous owner bought was not working with this machine. for one it was too thick which was jamming the thread under the needle plate. also the shuttle was quite loose in there as the puny little shuttle carrier spring did not even reach the shuttle. so i put the original one back in...DSC_0236.JPG

as you can see it was changed because the corner broke off where it received the screw.DSC_0235.JPGDSC_0237.JPG

and it sewed without any problem. so here is some pictures of the parts that were changed.....

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0200.JPGDSC_0204.JPGDSC_0206.JPG

as you can see there was quite a bit of wear on the racks and piñons. the feeding motion ring was not replaced, the foot was also changed as it was smooth and was giving a smaller stitch compared to a new one. it is sewing 6 stitches per inch and seems ok to me. i will change the shuttle carrier with an original used one and the lifting lever bar also which is heavily worn but it will not stop you from sewing. so when they arrive i will post you some more pictures. as you can see anyone looking for one of these newer 29s will find parts available but might need a little "tweaking" and others like the shuttle carrier wont work (but this could be for another model). they are easy machines to work on and do not have a lot of complicated parts to them. lets see if i can get around to doing the treadle.........

well i personally think that a bit of blasting would be good for these feet as there are a few nooks and crannies underneath to get into to clean the rust??? the decals have gone white underneath because of the solvent seeping underneath and they look like stick on. :thumbsdown:

DSC_0236.JPGDSC_0237.JPGDSC_0239.JPGDSC_0240.JPG

Edited by jimi

DSC_0241.JPGDSC_0243.JPGDSC_0244.JPGDSC_0245.JPGDSC_0244.JPG

and the last two pictures is what we will be trying to end up with, shinny black like it was and with a new decal/sticker. by the way this was cleaned again with solvent to see what was underneath.

Edited by jimi

DSC_0248.JPGDSC_0249.JPGDSC_0251.JPGDSC_0252.JPG

This part was worn on top and bottom and was tig welded to see if it would work out??? well after a LOT of filing it is put back (needs a little more adjustment) and just slightly helping the material through it gets 5 to the inch. but very slightly, i still dont know if it is worth all the trouble to weld and file and fit this part??? maybe just better getting a new one?? and the lifting lever came and is in very good nick. you can see how worn the old one was on the left?? (another $30 to the list).....oh... and the shuttle carrier also? should have got both of them together and saved postage:smashcomp: 

This was the part that stopped the snagging of the thread under the needle plate. 

DSC_0181.JPG.fbde79fd5e23c1325a14c4fdd97d21bc.JPG

On 1/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Jimi;

I will try to remember to measure the length of the gearbox on my 29k172 when I go to work on Monday. Mine has a large bobbin.

The T-bar on top is called a darning attachment because it causes the foot to stay up over the leather as you sew. The knuckle where the needle bar is mounted to the moving take-up barrel hits the T-bar if the arm is rotated so it faces the knuckle. This lets you move the work for whatever stitch length of pattern you want. I use it to criss-cross over torn seams on leather goods in for repairs. Sewing across to mend a tear in something is/was called "darning." In the old days, during the depression, Moms would darn holes in socks rather than buying new ones. The modern equivalent would be a wide zig-zag stitch.

Note that my darning attachment has two positions. The half cut section just clears the leather, while the full bar lifts the foot all the way up. In fact, it releases the thread tension at the top of the stroke. So, I prefer the half lift position. Rotating it away from the mechanism restores normal operation.

29K_1353.jpg

29K_1354.jpg

29K_1355.jpg

IMG_0046.JPG

Is there any possibility that a write up may exist on this mod?
I've given it my typical 15 to 20 minutes of searching with no results.
Is this also similar to the leather pouch / cup / thingy that slips onto the lift lever?
I like the two positions concept.
Any videos if this in action (Simple YouTube search, NADA)

I'm fairly sure I can grasp the concept.

Thank you - I truly appreciate all this information.

Pics are WIP.  Motor now has a 45mm pulley and most everything has been finished.
Last piece will be the vertical support for the table that is currently being laser etched.

Stephen 

20221104_121113.jpg

20221024_205640.jpg

ok  Singer only made to my knowledge one short arm big bobbin machine  The 29U171.  It was the first singer shoepatcher made in Japan.  The 29K171, 172, 173 were the last ones made at Kilbowie Scotland plant.

Next came the 29U171  in Japan.  The the last ones made for Singer  the 29U171A, 172A, 173A.   Singer did make one high lift model-the 29K21.  They also made a few long stitch versions-29K10, 11, 16, 22, 23, 52, 54.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, Smooooth said:

20221104_121113.jpg

That is a gorgeous looking flatbed attachment!