Dave4

31-15 timing

Happy new year!

My 31-15 is from the 1915 serial allotment.  Great machine, getting lots of use here.  I installed a new race when we first got it.  Using the Navy and Singer manuals, I have set needlebar height for proper hook timing.  I have also tuned the feed dog height, position, centering and feed eccentric timing; and also done the presser bar guide lever set screw adjustment ( which I noticed has an effect on the check spring action because it changes the position of the slack thread regulator guide.  More about that in another post.).

This machine is sewing well, but it isn't "just right".  

My takeup lever has already started the upstroke before the hooked thread has passed across the lowest point of the bobbin case.  So I have a mild snapping thread problem.  It's not super-taut or bad, but you can see it and hear it.  You can hear it lightly flick the bobbin case sideways every stitch.  

I can minimize the problem by advancing the check spring stop CCW, but I can't quite eliminate the problem even if I adjust the tension assembly far enough to remove the check spring from service.  

The shuttle driver and the crank are both pinned on the hook shaft, so a typical timing adjustment seems out of the question.  

Is there another way to retard the takeup vs hook timing event on an older 31-15 that has the pinned shuttle driver and crank?

Thanks!

Is your check spring releasing its tension when the needle tip gets close to the bed surface?

CD in Oklahoma

Hello CD.  

My set-up goal is to have the check spring release tension just as the needle passes into the goods, and to not pick up tension again until after the needle thread has been passed across the bobbin case face.  

• Check spring stop too far advanced: lets off tension before needle tip reaches goods.
  • Stop too far retarded: lets off tension too late after needle is buried.
  • Stop just right: it lets off tension just has needle passes into goods.

My findings:

1.  When I set the stop just right, the check spring ends up with only a small range of motion, on pretty much all my machines.  I guess that's normal?
  2. On my early 31-15, the takeup lever starts its rise before the needle thread has crossed the bobbin case face, causing snappy action instead of smooth action.  I'd like to advance the hook timing, but the shuttle and crank are pinned on the oscillating shaft.  I'm wondering if there is another way to either advance the hook or retard the takeup?

Thanks!

You might benefit from a YouTube video by Harry Rogers on setting up his Singer 31K15.  

You can embed/link Youtube videos by copy/pasting the full Youtube URL into a post (the link you paste should look something like this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QX4nL65L0 , not the abbreviated versions)

Edited by Uwe

13 hours ago, JeepishGrin said:

You might benefit from a YouTube video by Harry Rogers on setting up his Singer 31K15.  

I hope everyone takes a close look at that video, especially at the 4:25 mark and beyond.

CD in Oklahoma