RoamingGnome

Hey Y'all! ....from Tennessee of course

Newbie here. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great info here. I've been lurking for about a week and have wanted to get into leatherworking for years. The info here was a big help in knowing how and where to start.

First project completed in about an hour and a half yesterday. Tried to post a pic but the file is too big.

Hey Gnome, welcome! I don't know what kind of computer you're working with, but most have basic picture editing apps. The size restrictions here are 800x600. Use the Force... um, search feature, on your computer to find image apps, or Google for a free one. When you get it figured out, let's see what you've got!

Thanks Cap'n.

I'll get it squared away when I get back to the computer. I was trying to upload from my phone and it can be a real PITA when it wants to. 

Well, that's your problem right there! NEVER use a device that thinks it is smarter than you! I am rocking a 10 year old flip phone like a Puerto Rican Drug Lord ;)

Haha!!!! That's hilarious! I resisted for a long time but I was finally sucked in and now I refuse to admit that it can out think me at pretty much anything.

I was able to resize the pictures so I'm trying it again.....

Sheath 1.jpg

Sheath 2.jpg

Not too shabby, and bonus points for using a round knife! Those are a bit more advanced than what I'll use.

Aw heck... there's the other one!

Thanks guys. The stitching needs some work but I guess that's what what I get for having 3 layers of 7/8 oz on my first project. 

If you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly right? Hahaha!

As for the round knife I figured if I start that way I can appreciate a regular one even more

Got one as a gift a few weeks back -- never going back to an old fashioned knife! Got it as sharp as I can, and hope to get better at sharpening it and using it -- and hope I still have 10 fingers next New Years Eve! LOL

7 hours ago, tnhomestead said:

Got one as a gift a few weeks back -- never going back to an old fashioned knife! Got it as sharp as I can, and hope to get better at sharpening it and using it -- and hope I still have 10 fingers next New Years Eve! LOL

I got sick and tired of having to count mine every time I did something, . . . it's in the drawer, . . . don't recollect which one, . . . don't care which one.

Love them old drywall knives with the replaceable razor blades.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey, Gnome & Homestead - good to see some more southern folk on here.  Tennessee's a pretty big state.  I'm between Nashville & Chattanooga.  How about you?

BTW, I have a couple of round knives, and although I'm totally an amateur, I always do better with a round knife than with a brand new razor knife blade.

Hey, Gnome & Homestead - good to see some more southern folk on here.  Tennessee's a pretty big state.  I'm between Nashville & Chattanooga.  How about you?

BTW, I have a couple of round knives, and although I'm totally an amateur, I always do better with a round knife than with a brand new razor knife blade.

Hey Mike,

I'm just north of Chattanooga myself but I make it over your way a few times a year for one reason or another.

I'm still getting used to a round knife but I've learned that if I'm cutting a curve I seem to do much better with it than with a straight knife. Honestly the only reason I bought the round knife is that I was in Knoxville on business just before Christmas and stopped in the Tandy store up there. They had thenough one in the picture I posted on sale for $19. Otherwise I don't think I would have taken the plunge right off but now I'm glad I did.

I am hiding over here other side of Nashville, between there and Jackson. i am still counting fingers, but curves to me are much easier with a round knife and so are straight cuts. I like the pushing away from me -- seems safer!