JenGranger

I froze my leather! Is it ruined?

Im a beginner, 2 months in, was finally able to order the 2lb bag of Hermman Oak Scraps I have wanted for weeks.  I was so excited to have decent leather to practice on compared to the horrible, practically raw hide scraps I have been practicing on.  Because I have good leather now, I decided I was going to case my leather the "proper way", so I ran the pieces under the facet front and back, left them out on the counter to dry a little over half way, then went ahead and put them into the zip loc bag and put them in the refrigerator because I had to leave, instead of waiting until they were "just right".  I figured it would be ok and that I would just set them out a while before I want to work on them.  Any ways, i left the leather on the top shelf in the fridge for two day and they froze.  Will this ruin the leather?

It happens. It should be ok, it will probably be real stiff after it dries though.

Thank you.  Most of the pieces are just for practice, no big deal if they get stuff.  One piece is for a project though.  I guess I could try neetsfooting it real good and flexing it.

Ive never tried the fridge thing. 

If you have some tempered glass from say a glass table or entertainment center or if you can find a piece cheaply from somewhere then put your leather on your tooling surface, wet it, put the glass on it and leave it for a bit. How ever long depends on you. I wouldnt worry about leaving it longer then overnight. Take the glass off and spritz the edges if necessary, let it dry until you start getting the normal color back and start tooling. 

I picked up a big picture frame at the local version of a flea market for .50. Came with a poster of components for a helicopter chassis for free. All I wanted was the glass.