Lineaus

Singer 211G165 Newbie

Hi All:   I am very, very new to sewing and sewing machines.  I acquired a Singer 211G165 that apparently was never used, but has been sitting for a long time.   Two questions:

1. I see that Singer recommends Type "A" or "C" oil.   I found a cross reference to Lily White Industrial Sewing Machine Oil Made in USA.  Will this work?  Also, seems like the oil use is pretty significant.  Does the oil collect in the sump and the does one just re-use it?  What should I plan on for oil consumption?

2. My machine is missing the presser foot/feet.  Any idea where I can find a replacement?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sounds like a nice machine, post some pic's when you get a chance.

Yes on the lilly white here in the lower 48, many use it. ( for sure stick with sew machine oil )

For the time being a sewing store will carry some small bottles that will work and just be plentyfull applying it as you mention it has sat. Do keep it off the belt under the access cover, don't be afraid to put it on all linkages and assemblies besides it will end up in the drip pan.

Not recommended to re use it, besides it will be a pain trying to clean and filter in any such way.

Just guessing its probably setup to use either 69 thread if really clean and maybe jump to 92 possibly if generally set for heavier materials like upholstery etc. Never know though it may have been used for theatre work and using smaller threads up to 69. In any event sounds like a great find!

Good luck there

Floyd

Is it similar to the 211g155? Those can handle up to 138thread if adjusted properly. Pretty good machines but they are fast.

The 155 uses the same 111 style feet not sure about the 165, looks the same but I havnt had one. 

Welcome Lineaus, you've come to the best place to find out about your machine. By the way, I doubt if it's "never been used" as it's extremely unlikely a machine of that age has been sitting somewhere since new and not touched. Anyhow, I suggest you start reading some of the excellent stickies and posts on here as industrial sewing machines have a  fairly steep learning curve.

The presser feet shouldn't be too hard to find for that model (contact the vendors on this site or try searching ebay). If it has a clutch motor (most likely) then you may want to consider replacing it with a servo motor, it will make it much easier to use. My 211G166 will handle #138 thread, but it requires a bit of tweaking of the hook timing, yours is most likely set for #69 thread I would think.

That Lilly White oil should be fine, but don't even think about re-using the oil in the bottom.

Edited by dikman

Thank you for the input.   I was planning to try sewing heavy fabric (denim) and maybe 2-3 oz leather.   I'll look at the needles I have have to see how heavy I can go.

Got the oil ordered, still looking for the presser feet.

On 2017-01-02 at 5:53 PM, Lineaus said:

Hi All:   I am very, very new to sewing and sewing machines.  I acquired a Singer 211G165 that apparently was never used, but has been sitting for a long time.   Two questions:

1. I see that Singer recommends Type "A" or "C" oil.   I found a cross reference to Lily White Industrial Sewing Machine Oil Made in USA.  Will this work?  Also, seems like the oil use is pretty significant.  Does the oil collect in the sump and the does one just re-use it?  What should I plan on for oil consumption?

2. My machine is missing the presser foot/feet.  Any idea where I can find a replacement?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.