Beret

First New Collar of 2017!

Heyyo! Kicking off 2017 with a LOT of open work orders. First finished collar of the new year shipped out today. For reference, collar is 2" wide. Photos below :)

15873463_735763493240762_4490597300178054343_n.jpg?oh=3e32c5404d7242b0d0b731362ab87554&oe=58EBA8A9

15781505_735763486574096_222774333335740

15871695_735763489907429_526774966046696

Edited by Beret

That is awesome, Great work. Love the small details you have achieved.

What is the outer layer?  Is it leather or some other material?  I can't even imagine tooling that much detail so small.

11 hours ago, cjartist said:

What is the outer layer?  Is it leather or some other material?  I can't even imagine tooling that much detail so small.

It's just 6-7oz veg tan! Tooled, dyed & painted. Bottom is 9-10oz latigo. Definitely does a number on my hands though haha.  

11 hours ago, AussieMade said:

That is awesome, Great work. Love the small details you have achieved.

Thank you!

Very nice! Love it.

What type of paints do you use for a dog collar.  I am using Golden brand acrylics but have only done dogs names.  

How and what do you use for waterproofing and sealing your colours and artwork?     It's beautiful!

BJP

Edited by BJP
Spelling edit

23 hours ago, BJP said:

What type of paints do you use for a dog collar.  I am using Golden brand acrylics but have only done dogs names.  

How and what do you use for waterproofing and sealing your colours and artwork?     It's beautiful!

BJP

I use Angelus, Eco-Flo and some Liquitex acrylics sparingly. 

Nothing is going to waterPROOF these - they aren't meant to get wet. However, the paints have some natural water resistance, and I finish with a Saddle-Lac. 

And thank you!

I haven't seen angelus in Canada but have heard of it.     Yes so true no such thing as waterproof!  

What do you suggest to your customers when they purchase a hand painted collar.. Just wondering.   There's so much beautiful hard work in the tooling and the hand painting.     I guess it's truly up to them if they want to chance it getting ruined by rain, snow etc. 

9 hours ago, BJP said:

I haven't seen angelus in Canada but have heard of it.     Yes so true no such thing as waterproof!  

What do you suggest to your customers when they purchase a hand painted collar.. Just wondering.   There's so much beautiful hard work in the tooling and the hand painting.     I guess it's truly up to them if they want to chance it getting ruined by rain, snow etc. 

In general, the people who buy from me know and expect that these should be special-use pieces. They're expensive, they're not everyday collars you bum around with in the woods or at the dog park. I don't typically make a point of stating it directly to someone outright if not asked, as the people who pull the trigger do seem to have a good grasp of these just due to the materials and the price tag.

I'm asked the question often though from prospective buyers and people with passing interest. I ended up making a handling & care FAQ on my website that I can just point people to, instead of re-explaining how leather, paint, and nice things in general need to be treated over and over again LOL. For reference, here's my collar care FAQ: http://www.bullyflop.com/chatter/2017/1/31/bullyflop-collar-care-101

FYI... Angelus is available on Amazon.ca ;)

Edited by Beret

Thanks!