Give it about 3 days. 

1 hour ago, Klara said:

kop4 wrote that we should keep oxygen, i. e. air out:

"Oxygen messes with this system. Obviously there is oxygen in the atmosphere and dissolved in your solution, and this can oxidize the iron ions – it will take them from the 2+ state to the 3+ state. Fe3+ or iron(III) is NOT what we want, because it is orange and gross and not soluble in water. If this forms, it creates an orange/brown powdery solid that sinks to the bottom of the jar. To prevent the oxidation of the iron in solution, we need to keep the pH LOW and keep the oxygen out of the system as much as possible – by not pouring or shaking the solution. "

But I admit that I was to lazy to find the air lock so I did just leave the lid on loosely. And I don't think that's the problem - but there is a problem: After 24 hours the solution just doesn't dye. One leather gets a very light grey touch, the other nothing. Maybe I didn't use enough steel wool? Does anybody have a ratio of steel to vinegar?

its takes longer than 24 hrs just put some steel wool in a jar cover it with vinegar, put the lid on loose and forget about it for at least a few days it will get stronger the more iron that is dissolved. I have a jar that is over a year old. This stuff has been made for centuries its not rocket science.  don't overthink it no need.

oh, this reminds me, I have a jar of vinegaroon maturing in jar in a corner of my kitchen. I think I started it early last summer (2020) I just used a nail to punch a few holes in the screw-top to let the gasses out

Do you think it might be ready?

How is it applied?

17 minutes ago, fredk said:

oh, this reminds me, I have a jar of vinegaroon maturing in jar in a corner of my kitchen. I think I started it early last summer (2020) I just used a nail to punch a few holes in the screw-top to let the gasses out

Do you think it might be ready?

How is it applied?

it will be ready on the first full moon of the second month of the third year when the blue wooly tater bug flies south. 

i apply it with a cold beer! but some good home made Irish whiskey will work also.

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

it will be ready on the first full moon of the second month of the third year when the blue wooly tater bug flies south. 

Aye, well I'll have to wait till then cos mine is looking like muddy water

Or start a fresh jar

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i apply it with a cold beer! but some good home made Irish whiskey will work also.

Cold beer I can do, or mead

Thanks for spelling whiskey the correct way!

Interesting. I get high strength vinegar at HMart (29-31% as opposed to 5%) and use it as an herbicide. Would this work or should it be 5%? And it seems the general consensus is to just rinse it off rather than give it a baking soda bath.