Hey, 

Long time listener, first time poster. 

I am currently agonising over which pricking irons to invest in. Having used cheap chinese irons for years, I'm ready to invest in the perfect set. Problem is, where to start. I know I don't want to go old school so i'll dismiss brands like Blanchard and Osbourne for starters. I favour penetrating at least 3mm worth of leather over only using awl (I know I know, its just my way. I do like to work with an awl but I like having the option for certain projects). 

I'm looking at 2+8 teeth at 3.38 and/or 3.85

So far, my opinions are thus:
Crimson Hides: Great for consistent penetration but makes large holes and are neither diamond nor euro style
Amy Roke: Great irons, well made and ideal for those wanting to do the awl work but punching through opens up hole too much which significant differences between entering/exit holes. 
Wuta: Same as Amy Roke, just cheaper and smaller. Other than that, little difference. 
KS Blade: Ideal for marking holes and punching through. Just unbelievably expensive. Even the new 'Black' range isn't that much cheaper!
cmdachong: Great for both marking and punching through reasonably thick leathers without huge difference in enter/exit holes. Good price... But he has decided to stop making irons!

These are just the opinions/descriptions I have formed to date based on research and discussion. If you can shed any extra light, opinion or introduce other suggestions, feel free. What are you using, and why do you like them etc (and if you're selling any irons, do get in touch!). 

I'm favouring the Roke at the moment and will just have to suck up the awl work and forgo the punching through unless you guys can help!

Hi,

See this topic here 

Appreciate the link but doesn't help too much. This mostly seems directed at a member who is confused between a pricking iron and a chisel. And has a budget cap. I don't. I actually think that the the KS Blade Black Griff are the best option on the market right now. Leathercraft Reddit thread has much more active discussion. 

Thanks again

Nigel Armitage has 11 detailed videos reviewing almost every option available. 

I currently use Blanchards. I have no experience with the ones you listed but I'd choose Amy Roke.

Nigel just posted a review of the Crimson Hide irons.  Very positive about them.

Nigel is a great asset to the leather community.  Every video he does is great.

I am currently using stitching chisels from Good N Leather out of Korea Benedict tools.  They are well made.  They are straight tooth chisels.  They are highly polished and will penetrate 6mm + of leather.  I had no issues with them and would love to get more but they are hard to contact.  They were on Etsy for a while but not any more.  I have used Blanchard, Dixon, Osborne and several no name brands off of Ebay.  I would say that the no name brands have their place not worth the money in my opinion.  I have recently purchased Wuta.  They are a well make tool.  Very clean lines and edges.  His teeth are a bit tapered and highly polished.  I liked the Good N Leather brand (Benedict) since they are straight teeth.  I accidently did not use a thick enough piece of leather and bent one of the teeth.  Dang it! I would like to purchase more from Good n Leather but they are out of Korea and their website is in Korean.  They also offer a diamond stitching chisel.

Wuta has been my replacement chisels  They are well made and marked with there size in mm and spi.  They were in the same price range at the Benedict tools.  There was no wait time except shipping.  Everyone else for me was too expensive.  Amy Ranoke and Chrimson  are not cheap.  They seem to be a cross between a stitching chisel, and a diamond awl.  They seem well made just more then I want to pay.  I think Wuta and Benedict tools are middle of the road price range.  It allows me to purchase multiple sizes. 

There is a guy named Kevin Lee out of China.  He is making some nice looking stitching chisels.   Price is about the same.  He will also make them in reverse or add or subtract teeth.  Very nice looking.  He is on face book and the leather work patterns feed on face book.  He is another option.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I bought 2, 8 and 12 prong irons from Amy Roke last year, sizes #9 and #7 (3.0 and 3.85 mm), 6 in total.

I don't have much to compare with, but like to think I can recognize quality when I see it. I really like these. Well made, super finish, and they feel good to use.

The first order was the #9's, and sadly they got chipped during shipping. No problems communicating back, so I wouldn't worry about that. They ordered new ones from the maker, which of course meant more waiting..

Before Christmas I ordered a set of #7's, and these took 3 months to arrive. There was Christmas of course, but also Chinese New Year meant there was an extra month added to production time. I had a Blanchard wheel to help me out, but the delivery time is certainly annoying. All was paid upon order, using PayPal.

So... If you want Amy Roke irons, you need patience. It seems to me they are produced by order. Other than that, I have no complaints. Price is high, but so is the quality.

@Amy Roke; if you read this ... STOCK UP!

I have the Beagle irons in 3mm, 3.35mm and the 3.85mm .I don't think i can ask more from a set of stitching irons...great price , beautiful elegant design, very well made and probably the smallest hole made by any stitching iron out there. 

Pictured below are the 3mm using #92 thread (.337mm)

54277238_598720123930518_4377442887178751560_n.jpg

55783986_268574520726662_54753561028503321_n(1).jpg

26 minutes ago, LeatherLegion said:

I have the Beagle irons in 3mm, 3.35mm and the 3.85mm .I don't think i can ask more from a set of stitching irons...great price , beautiful elegant design, very well made and probably the smallest hole made by any stitching iron out there. 

Pictured below are the 3mm using #92 thread (.337mm)

54277238_598720123930518_4377442887178751560_n.jpg

55783986_268574520726662_54753561028503321_n(1).jpg

Where did you find these?

7 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

Thanks