Hello, 

I originally posted this topic on reddit, but thought that people here might also be interested.

I noticed that some of us would like to get Buttero leather (Conceria Walpier), but face high prices, unavailability in Europe or, in case of contacting the tannery directly, high order volume.

I'm currently thinking about running a campaign on Indiegogo to crowdfund a purchase of Buttero. I contacted the tannery and calculated that I will be able to sell a single skin (about 1.35–1.50 sq. m / 14.5–16 sqf) below around 150–160$ + international shipping around 20–25$. I will ship from Europe, so no EU import fees. I still can't get a quote from the tannery on their shipping options, but if they are what I expect, the price shouldn't change.

For a start there will be only one choice of colour available, but if the campaign in successful I might be able to add another colour. For a start, I'm considering the most popular tan colour. Thickness can be any starting from 1.2 to 2,8 mm. There will be an option to order half a hide.

The question is whether any of you will be interesting in purchasing some?

If yes, please leave your interest via this Google form and I'll make sure to give you a discount when the campaign starts.https://goo.gl/forms/VnWNSbgLzPnyaD2L2

Thanks!

Leather Color Chart.jpg

On 1/12/2017 at 12:04 AM, Jiri Taowski said:

Thanks for the option, but to get it to EU I would have to pay 28% in taxes.

why?
you are in EU. Tannery is also in EU - you pay taxes while moving materials from one EU country to another??

AA Crack, leather wholesaler in Northampton, England, carry buttero. They will sell as little as a single piece. We're still in the EU (for now) so you shouldn't pay import tax (but you will pay VAT, as you would buying from any company within the EU unless you're registered).

If you want to set yourself up as a dealer knock yourself out and best of luck to you. If you're just trying to provide a semi-altruistic service to fellow leather-crafters, you can save yourself a lot of aggro by just buying it from an existing dealer. 

2 hours ago, nrk said:

you are in EU. Tannery is also in EU - you pay taxes while moving materials from one EU country to another??

Tanneries often have large minimum order quantities, or flat out don't deal with the general public.