LadyJoana

How can i fix my mom's bag - Repairing edges

Hello everyone,  two years ago i lost my mom and she left me her bag. A bag that's in optimal condition and had 10 years of usage without a hitch. But ten years is ten years and the edges started cracking slightly. It was slight but iIwanted to stop it from going any further, so iIook it to a repair shop that substituted the hole edge on the handle as you can see from the pictures. I went to pick it up and the paint was all cracked iIdidn't even bother to leave iIshed them to redo it because it was in no condition. They applied a second layer that when iIpicked up cracked again on the hole. I asked if iIleft it there they could fix it they said they'd just apply more paint and assured me it would last more than the original edge (which lasted ten years mind you).  I took the bag and left. Obviously parts of the paint started falling off. So here iIm desperate to somehow repair my bag and return it to its former glory and give it a few more years of usage and keep a part of my mom with me.  If tthere's anyone out there that can help me iIold really appreciate it.

pictures of the bag

IMG_20170111_125319.jpg

No expert but you would have to get the old edge off first. The use the Tandy edge paint made by Fence. There are a few post here on site about using it. I have a cheap variable temp wood burner I use to smooth and melt it. It will take a few coats sanded and/or melted it.

Hi Thanks for the answers. But what exactly can i use here? I've been reading up on the other articles here in the forums and from what i gather theres many different edge paint i can use. How do i know what to use here? Doesnt Tandy Edge have a possibility of making the paint run when exposed to water? Should i get a sealer or wax? Do they have available the paint in mat to make it more similar to the edges on the bag? Ive seen Giardini (?) has the paints available in mat, but ive heard they could also run if exposed to water.

I know as a first step i'll need to get the old one out, it's craked and flaking off in several parts. But next should i sand it before applying the paint?

How about the wood burner, what kind would you advise? Can i use the tips that come with it or will i need a special tip to run on the paint?

Tandy edge PAINT is flexible and the best choice for this application. Fiebings Edge Kote is flexible but wouldn't use here. And it's chrome tanned leather I'm sure so you can't use dye. There are a few videos online on how to use it. This is the wood burner I use. Tip depends on shape of what you are edging. Start at lowest team and raise if need to. 

received_10202930733224636.png

received_10202930741224836.png

Edited by Mattsbagger

The leather at the edge is dry rotted from lack os conditioning over the years. 

You can't paint over the rot. Take out the rotted parts and replace with a stable base to burnish and paint an edge.

47 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

The leather at the edge is dry rotted from lack os conditioning over the years. 

You can't paint over the rot. Take out the rotted parts and replace with a stable base to burnish and paint an edge.

Yes. I think you are going to have to take a blade to it and cut off the edge.  Otherwise make a new strap, although matching the look would be difficult.  Then if you want to keep the bag, use a good leather conditioner to prevent further problems.

@Mattsbagger Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the suggestions! I've already looked into that tool, but i can't seem to find it (or a similar one) in my country. I will try to see if i can find a similar tool before deciding if i should import it or not since with import fees it'll be a bit more costly. The paint seems nice and has a mate version available so i think i'll give it a try.

@MadHatter Hi, could you please elaborate or give examples of a stable base (or what it is)? I'm not quite sure what you mean with this.

@cjartist Hello, unfortunately to me substituting the handle is out of the question, i'd have a very hard time finding something fitting to replace it and i'd like to keep it as is and i believe cutting it would also prove a task since now i don't trust anyone to touch it. But thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into a conditioner.

Search for a variable temp wood burner set 200 degrees f. Is as high as it needs to be.

Hello again, I'd like to thank everyone for the help you gave me! After a long while I was able to fix it (or at least i hope so) without using the heat tool since the paint (edge flex) adhered to it pretty well. 

IMG_20170702_151409.jpg