Seriously, I can't be the only one not blind to it.  Real estate people?  Where do they find these bottom-feeders, anyway?  You sell a house, and I buy it -- so some "third party" gets money.. WHY?  They "research" listings (which anyone with an internet connection can do), file some papers (which anyone can do) and schedule viewing of the property (which, you guessed it, anyone can do).  

It occurs to me, after talking to one particularly obnoxious waste of oxygen (spelled r e a l t o r) that there's another word for organisms of this type:

par·a·site
ˈperəˌsīt/
noun
  1. an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

Yeah.  It kinda sucks.  But there are reasons to use a real estate agent.  Most of us are not willing to invest the time and energy into researching all of the ins and outs of buying real estate, and just pay to have that done by somebody that knows the system.  There's a lot that can go wrong with a real estate purchase that can cost you your home.  For example, when the owner bought the house back in the '50s, they didn't do proper title research.  The house was built in the 1920s on land that the builder didn't own.  Now, even 100 years later, the descendants of one of the old land owners find that the land was never properly bought.   They can hire another group of parasites called lawyers to come in and take your house and land!  Or maybe somebody along the line sold the oil rights and one day you wake up to find an oil rig being built in your back yard.  Your best case scenario is to hire another parasite lawyer to fight these situations - at your expense.  You may or may not win, but either way it will cost you.  And, of course, yet another group of parasites, the bankers probably won't loan you money to buy a house unless a real estate agent is involved.  If you lose your house in any one of the scenarios where you could, you're not likely to pay them so no loan for you.  In most cases too, the real estate agent is bonded to cover some of the problems that can arise and responsibility goes back to them.  But even that varies from place to place.

Don't get me wrong - The system stinks, but that's how it is.

Bill

Well, I certainly would agree with involving your lawyer.  But I don't see real estate people doing anything most people couldn't do themselves.

Course, you're not going to have real estate people telling you what it is they are being paid for.  If people realized just how easy it is.. they'd do it themselves and the "professionals" would be out of work! :o

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Seriously, I can't be the only one not blind to it.  Real estate people?  Where do they find these bottom-feeders, anyway?  You sell a house, and I buy it -- so some "third party" gets money.. WHY?  They "research" listings (which anyone with an internet connection can do), file some papers (which anyone can do) and schedule viewing of the property (which, you guessed it, anyone can do).  

It occurs to me, after talking to one particularly obnoxious waste of oxygen (spelled r e a l t o r) that there's another word for organisms of this type:

par·a·site
ˈperəˌsīt/
noun

1. an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

3 hours ago, billybopp said:

They can hire another group of parasites called lawyers to come in and take your house and land!

I was chuckling to myself as I read JLS's original post, thinking to myself, yep, and I can think of two other groups that are equally parasitic. Billybop, you named one, and no offense to the good people reading this who sell insurance for a living, but insurance companies and agents make up the third group.   And as far as a real estate agent taking responsibility for anything in the event something goes wrong, good luck there!!

I'm in my 13th house.  I've bought and sold using realtors and by myself.  I have dealt with my share of the bottom feeders, but have also been fortunate to work with two phenomenal folks (both were brokers that owned the business).  The coolest house deal was one we bought from the owner on a handshake.  Got the paperwork from the bank (before the internet), and completed the deal in about 15 minutes.  Of course that was also before asbestos, lead paint, radon and hazardous waste.  Ah, the good old days . . . . 

18 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

and no offense to the good people reading this who sell insurance for a living, but insurance companies and agents make up the third group. 

Yeah, my turn to laugh now.  I've had insurance people chasing me for YEARS, wanting to know if I was interested in this house or that one!  Apparently, the realty people and the insurance people do nothing in the same places.

My lawyer isn't from here.  I had the sense to pick someone that these scavengers haven't spent the last 20 years sucking up to! :rofl:

Nice.  One of 'em just showed up - with his "clients".  Surprised to see us here, .. didn't Brooke tell you we were coming? Well, yes - yes she did.  And after someone writes a check, you can decide who's here and who's not ;)

Try to be "nice' most of the time.. but really not gonna afford him the same respect I'd show an actual man...

Them and those people who come to your house and proceed to knock/ring when you have a big sign on your front door "no solicitors" plastered on it. Had one try and explain they werent soliciting so I asked her to define what soliciting was and she just stared at me all deer in the head lights. Actually had one kid put his hand on the door to try and stop me from shutting it so he could spout his pitch, that poor kid got the crap scared out of em, couldn't believe he would actually do that. 

Lol, Jeff.  Couldn't agree more, except for the wedding coordinator I was required to "Purchase" at the church I got married at who didn't do anything.  Stood there with a big frown on her face and charged 400 bucks.

YIKES..twice in one day!   you got billed AND married..  I'm SO sorry :rofl:

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Well, that marriage was a LONG time ago.  I remedied that problem in 98!  

12 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That really is a double whammy! :lol:   At least once you pay the bill, it's paid. Marriage goes on, and on, and on. . . . Even after its "remedied" it can go on.  Got a call last night, woke me up out of a sound sleep. It was ex-husband, "oh I didn't mean to call you!"

1 hour ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

It was ex-husband, "oh I didn't mean to call you!"

Tell him that makes you even.. you didn't meana call him neether! 

8 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Well, that marriage was a LONG time ago.  I remedied that problem in 98!

You got married TWICE?!@#!!  My buddy Robert mentioned he met you and some gal you was marryin - or just did -- down that way (TX) -- thought you seemed like an intelligent, decent fella (in texas, they says "fella").

I dun the same type of thing.. you know... where ya tell yer buddies i aint ne'er fixinta drink that much beer ever agin... then ya do.  Course, the beer don't call you middle o the night years later ... ;)

I got married myself.. sisters' patio (concrete I put in myself), service by the pastor who is a friend of ours and would only take filing fee and coffee, and a couple witnesses.  Only married this gal cuz they aintno 'wishywashy' about her.. kinda tough.  She ever git tired o bein around, she prolly just punch me inna eye and go.. :rofl:

16 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Them and those people who come to your house and proceed to knock/ring when you have a big sign on your front door "no solicitors" plastered on it. Had one try and explain they werent soliciting so I asked her to define what soliciting was and she just stared at me all deer in the head lights. Actually had one kid put his hand on the door to try and stop me from shutting it so he could spout his pitch, that poor kid got the crap scared out of em, couldn't believe he would actually do that. 

I had a JW do something similar - I smiled and nodded at their pitch, but when I went to close the door he actually put a foot in it to stop me from closing it.  Well...a short, well practiced movement later, and the JW was inspecting the business end of my home security system.  I looked him right in the eye and asked, "How strong is your faith?"    I think our address was black-listed b/c we haven't seen them again in the last 20 years or so!

OH NO!!! Did I accidentally, let it slip into January before accepting offers on our houses?  Rats and double drat... I'm purdy upset about not paying taxes on the capital gains until NEXT year.  Well, wait -- no, I ain't ... :rofl:

There are no federal capital gain taxes on your pnrimary residence. Don't know about state or if part of property was used for different purposes.

Terry

3 hours ago, terrymac said:

There are no federal capital gain taxes on your pnrimary residence. Don't know about state or if part of property was used for different purposes.

Terry

"Capital gains" in this context is a generic term meaning income.  But then, upset about not getting taxed [yet] wasn't intended to be accurate or literal either ;)