I work full time at a local gun shop who also sell some of my product. I recently did a custom job for a S&W Shield with a crimson trace light laser combo. After I formed the holster the owner of the gun shop came out of the back and tells my client the he needs to put his shield in a bag jam it in the holster smother it in saddle soap and put it on the heat register over night and it will form to his shield.

I had never heard of doing this before. I would love to hear some input on this.

Edited by glockanator

That's a new one for me. It's not something I'd recommend.

Edited by BHPshooter

Sound like it will make it nice and soft.Not how I like my holsters but hey each there own.lol

Saddle soap?  Why would he need to clean a new holster?  :wacko:

FWIW, heat would help anything you put on the leather to soak in.  But not exactly what I would recommend for a new holster.  My guess is it screws up the finish and probably softens the leather.  

Yeah I was pretty dumbfounded. I hope the customer doesn't come back and say it has screwed up his holster.

I'd make up a care sheet to go with each holster. How to break it in, do's and dont's. And contact information for questions. 

6 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

I'd make up a care sheet to go with each holster. How to break it in, do's and dont's. And contact information for questions. 

There was a post on here a while back, the lady called it "Care and Feeding". That is a list I'd like as well. I tell people to treat them like a pair of fine leather shoes. Military folks understand it, but the average person is used to sneakers... or flip flops if they are from Flordida.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:53 PM, chiefjason said:

Saddle soap?  Why would he need to clean a new holster?  :wacko:

FWIW, heat would help anything you put on the leather to soak in.  But not exactly what I would recommend for a new holster.  My guess is it screws up the finish and probably softens the leather.  

I'm sure it depends on what finish you use. I prefer Resolene, which is pretty darn moisture resistant. I'm not sure if that saddle soap slurry would make it through the finish... but if it did, I'm sure it wouldn't be good for it. Either way, it makes me cringe.

Never heard of using saddle soap but have used all types of oils including Vaseline, the put it in the hot Arizona sun. I first wrap the HG in Saran Wrap to protect it

just my two cents