I normally use predyed leathers but an upcoming braiding project needs to be purple and I have plenty of natural roo. I am worried I wont get the vibrant purple I am looking for just daubing on Feibings purple before cutting. Any tips to make the color pop?

I just stared using some. 50/50 with water looked pretty good. But it went dark when I oiled it to loosen it back up.

If I were going to do it again I would probably start at 4:1 ratio.

Just do a test piece.

@bikermutt07 I have heard of dying a lighter color as a base to make the primary dye pop. but I dont understand your comment of cutting the dye to improve the color. I want a deep vibrant purple color, not something washed out and lilac.

I was thinking it was too dark. Here is a picture of 50/50 after I oiled it. It's a little darker than I wanted it.1204161508-2448x1377.jpg

I haven't heard of that technique. Sorry I was just trying to help.

That color purple would be perfect since it will be braided with natural. What brand dye did you use? and any special technique other than cutting the dye and oiling it? 

Nope. It is Hermann Oak, Fiebings spirit dye, water 50/50, and then a light coat of neatsfoot oil.

Thank you. Already have that dye on the way. Happy to know it will work with slight adjustments. It is hard for me to experiment on roo considering its cost.

41 minutes ago, Sovran81 said:

Thank you. Already have that dye on the way. Happy to know it will work with slight adjustments. It is hard for me to experiment on roo considering its cost.

I haven't worked with it at all.