I made a few keyfobs over Christmas as presents, using a template found on the forum here.  Was using conchos and padding them.  I think they turned out well.  Then I came across an idea using bottle caps in leather & thought it might work - YES!  My wife likes them.  The trick is finding the right bottle caps - I was lucky and the beer is not bad.  She is not ready to let me mass produce them yet, but it's a start . . . 

keyfob.jpg

fobs1-15-3.jpg

Nice work and great idea! The caps are unique with nice designs!

Nicely done.  You can do coins that way too.  With the coins you can have windows on both sides if the coin is interesting on both sides.

Good idea! And looks like clean work. Production level might lead to a drinking problem though.lol 

18 minutes ago, kiwican said:

How do you stitch the cap in?

Hopefully while sober. Otherwise, the blood may spill ;)

Thanks for the kind comments.  This has been fun.  Several friends have offered to help with providing the caps, but not much else . . . .

Kiwican,

I take a pliers and open the crimped part of the cap until it is flat  Then use a piece of pipe to further flatten and true the crimped part.  Then punch a hole in the fob.  I cut the leather round I punched out down to fit inside the back of the cap and then assemble it with contact cement, stitch and burnish. 

keyfob punch.jpg

Thanks! It's on my list if things to try

On 1/16/2017 at 11:39 PM, MikeG said:

Thanks for the kind comments.  This has been fun.  Several friends have offered to help with providing the caps, but not much else . . . .

Kiwican,

I take a pliers and open the crimped part of the cap until it is flat  Then use a piece of pipe to further flatten and true the crimped part.  Then punch a hole in the fob.  I cut the leather round I punched out down to fit inside the back of the cap and then assemble it with contact cement, stitch and burnish. 

keyfob punch.jpg

I was thinking of doing something exactly like this last week as Aussies we love a good beer or two or three.......... They look good I love the caps different countries have, Ours are not the fanciest but should still come out ok

As a Kiwi I can attest that Aussies like a beer or two

8 minutes ago, kiwican said:

As a Kiwi I can attest that Aussies like a beer or two

maybe more than two lol. not so much for me lately.