Engine1

painting 3-D Letters

I'm looking for ideas on methods and techniques on painting and outlining 3-D Letter stamps

not sure it's the right way but I got an acrylic paint pen from Elmers that I use to paint the edges. I let it dry then use a thin,wet piece of fabric on a plastic paint scraper to rub off the excess. Then I paint the actual letter

thanks I might give this a try

Needle tip paint bottle applicators. 20 gauge needle for all around letter painting.. and a 22-24 for very fine detailing. That and painting a few thousand letters with it and you'll never understand how you did it with a brush every again. 

Thanks do you have a recommendation on suppliers 

I do not as my experiences have been using ebay (in which suppliers come and go) If I could only get the bottles I found last year. :) Essentially it is key to find bottles that accept replacement tips... as if youre not careful with cleaning and storing your bottles with paint in them it will ruin the tip. 

Perhaps colored Sharpie markers (which use a permanent, spirit-based ink) may work for you? I haven't ever used them, but I have heard that they can be used. 

4 hours ago, DJole said:

Perhaps colored Sharpie markers (which use a permanent, spirit-based ink) may work for you? I haven't ever used them, but I have heard that they can be used. 

I have used Sharpits. They do work,they do have different sizes too. Ive only used black or brown before dying. Still need a steady hand.

received_10202940245822445.jpeg

I use gel-ink pens.

Available in many colours as well as gold and silver.

Tips are fine enough to go along the groove made by some stamps. Only takes a few seconds to colour in an area.

After they dry for at least 24 hours I give the area a quick coat of 'Pledge with Future shine' acrylic floor varnish to seal the ink

38 minutes ago, fredk said:

I use gel-ink pens.

Available in many colours as well as gold and silver.

Tips are fine enough to go along the groove made by some stamps. Only takes a few seconds to colour in an area.

After they dry for at least 24 hours I give the area a quick coat of 'Pledge with Future shine' acrylic floor varnish to seal the ink

Do you dye before,after, or all?

All dyeing is done before.

Stamping - dyeing - sealing - colouring in - more sealing - polish if necessary

1 hour ago, fredk said:

All dyeing is done before.

Stamping - dyeing - sealing - colouring in - more sealing - polish if necessary

Cool thanks. Do you have any pics of work done like this?

Edited by Mattsbagger

I've been looking for some but so far I can't find anything much.

The only thing I have to hand is this gaming board.

Hn%20board%20pattern%2001s_zpspvbyagpg.j

The pattern was drawn on with a pointed scriber; effectively pressing the pattern into the leather, almost as deep as a stamping would do. Even with 'antique-ing' it didn't stand out, so I went along the scribed line with a gold gel-ink pen. When it was well and truly dry I went over it with the Pledge, then it got Fiebling's clear Resolene on top of that then buffed up a bit with a bee'swax polish mixture I make.

You have to be careful with the gel-ink tho; its water soluble so until its lacquered over to seal it it can 'run' if it gets too wet, and when you put the sealer over it don't wet it too much or drag the brush/sponge as that'll smear it too [don't ask me how I know.....:rolleyes2: ]

I've done a knife scabbard for a friend with a stamped pattern all over it, then used a silver gel-ink pen in the low groves of the pattern to make the pattern stand out  [or 'pop' as some US speakers would say] I've done single letters, small patterns......

But I rarely keep photos of these things and the items are all with their owners or passed on.

Gel-ink pens are available just about anywhere. The metallic ones are just a bit harder to get but not much harder. And I believe you can get 'glitter' gel-ink pens in many colours as well.

Extra; I found another photo. Here's a part of it.

Craftool 3-D stamp; Fleur de Lys # 8613-00 used, lined with silver gel-ink

Fancy%20Blue%20Belt%2001es_zps9lcsoy9g.j

I use a very fine point paint brush and Angelous acrylic leather paint. I sometimes add a tiny bit of water so it will follow the grooves better. 

I use "Golden" brand acrylic paints in the tubes.   Expensive but u don't need much.  

Also use very fine natural hair brushes.   AND.. if needed instead of water, use Goldens  "Paint Retarder" which will thin the thick acrylic gel-type paint properly.  

Go for many litely painted layers and build up the colour you want ( dry well between each layer)  rather than just paint on thick paint for color bc it won't last.