PAMuzzle

Parts for Singer 29-4 patching machine

Does anyone know the part number for the screws that hold the Singer 29-4 to the treadle base and where I might purchase them?  I am missing all 4 and would like to get originals.  I am pretty sure they are

10-28 size, which do not seem to be available these days. 

Call Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. The number is 866-362-7397. He probably has a set of those Singer screws.

Thank you, both.  

The old 29-4 Parts.pdf manual unfortunately isn't super clear about which part goes where. I think the screw with part number  118  (you know it's an early part with a part number that low) is a good candidate, depending on how you interpret the description of "Arm of Machine Base Screw".

The only online price reference to that screw I could find was at http://www.singer29-4.com (which redirects to http://horsenharness.com/singers29-4.html) with a solid price tag of $13.50 per screw (ouch!) Those had better be originals! You want to make sure it's the right one before you order four of them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 7.50.31 PM.png

On the plus side, while researching this I stumbled across a very nice scan of a Singer 29K71/72/73 service and parts manual  (Singer 29K.pdf) which has, among other useful info, much more meaningful parts illustrations that indicate parts locations. I was curious if the later versions of the Singer 29 used the same screws for mounting the machine to the base. The Singer 29K71 shows two different kinds of mounting screws on page 41, depending on which type of base it's being attached to. Unfortunately, the base mount screws part number for the 29K71 (Part # 50616) does not appear in the 29-4 parts manual, so the screws are at the very least not identical (not sure about interchangeable)  

I just looked at mine 29-4 and it looks more like scew 128 on plate 7742.  The are thin with fat head and mine have a washer on them.  I took picture of them.  I would assume any screw with a washer you can thread in there would work fine since it's under the machine. 

IMG_5609.JPG

Thanks for turning screws for us, Yetibelle! I'm glad you left at least one screw in the machine! Love your vintage ruler, by the way. 

The Part# 128 description of "Leg Screw" fits better, too. 

Edited by Uwe

Uwe,

That is the correct screw #.  You can also get screw #127, or #141 or #145.  These are the same thread pitch   3/16" x 28tpi.  Only difference is the length of the screws.  Screw #128 is no longer made but there are generic ones available.  

Screw #118 is no longer made but there are ones you can get.  The thread size is 9/32"x 20tpi.  Screw #50632 will work as it is the same thread pitch and diameter. Screw #118 was used on the 29k's beginning with the 29K58 I believe to anchor the heads to the treadle bases.  Hope that helps.

glenn

I just got a 29-4. I cant find a base for it...except in the Netherlands. Can I use a regular treadle base? Thank you.

You can but most regular treadle bases have larger fly wheels than the 29K base so it will make the machine sew faster.

And they have two flywheels on the 29k treadle instead of one on the normal treadles.

Sorry, I meant to say "two belt sheaves on the flywheel", not "two fly wheels".