VTleather09

Another butterfly knife sheath headed to it's new home

Here is another sheath headed out.  I've been toying with sunburst.  The last image is of an impromptu sheath I made for kicks and giggles. 

EL 1.jpg

20170116_183745.jpg

20170116_223444.jpg

20170116_223801.jpg

20161123_215258.jpg

I like it.

I like them too. Pity those knives are illegal up my way....so I don't have one

3 hours ago, kiwican said:

They are illegal in a lot of states. It it is nice looking 

19 hours ago, kiwican said:

I know.  It's very sad that some people (politicians) view these elegant tools as gangster accessories.  On the forums I belong to I see numerous people from all over the world attempting to acquire balisongs, or attempting to influence politicians to change the laws that hinder their desire to own a high quality and functional knife.  Being a Vermonter, I have only recently come to appreciate how great our gun and knife laws are.    

15 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

They are illegal in a lot of states. It it is nice looking 

Yes, and it is unfortunate.  People should always know their state knife laws though, because some state have wonky ones.  There are states that allow the ownership of a butterfly knife, but carrying one is illegal. 

Canadian knife laws are pretty good and are set at the fed level. No need to worry about crossing province boundaries. Can't have push knives. Gravity or switchblade types plus a few other things. Other than that you are pretty much good to go. I'd pass about a dozen people on any given day carrying a fixed blade on the hip

Legal issues aside, I agree that the sheathes are visually quite appealing and show a high level of skill and creativity by the maker.

However, they both seem way too large relative to the size of the knives they hold, especially the first one. I'd be concerned that they would provide little to no retention to keep the knife inside if the owner bends over or otherwise tips the sheathes from vertical. This, to me at least, is one of the primary functions of a well-designed and executed knife sheath.

As a result the sheathes seem more platforms to display your skills rather than functional ones that will protect your customer's investments.

Sorry, but that's the way I see them.

Michelle

On 1/20/2017 at 1:46 PM, silverwingit said:

Legal issues aside, I agree that the sheathes are visually quite appealing and show a high level of skill and creativity by the maker.

However, they both seem way too large relative to the size of the knives they hold, especially the first one. I'd be concerned that they would provide little to no retention to keep the knife inside if the owner bends over or otherwise tips the sheathes from vertical. This, to me at least, is one of the primary functions of a well-designed and executed knife sheath.

As a result the sheathes seem more platforms to display your skills rather than functional ones that will protect your customer's investments.

Sorry, but that's the way I see them.

Michelle

You seem to have strong opinions; which you are entitled to.  The first sheath is NOT made for the knife you see.  It is custom made for a balisong called a Tank-Bali that is MUCH bigger than my Hom Design Basilisk.  In addition, the second sheath has a large pocket clip in the back, thus the retention is very tolerant; particularly when wearing a belt.  These knives, and the knives owned by my customers start at $300.00 and go up from there, and I make it a point that these knives are well protected.  I make each and every sheath specific to the measurements of the knife and I make each and every design to the liking of the customer.  Furthermore; your "sight" is limited to a few snapshots, so please do not question my ability to meld ascetics with function.  Im sorry, but that's the way I see your comment.

VT  

My apologies. I saw that comparatively tiny balisong swimming in that first sheath and wondered what was going on.

Michelle

Looks good to me.

Where we live in West Virginia, we're frequently in Maryland and Virginia, so I havta be sure to follow knife laws in all 3 states. 

Butterfly knives are legal to own but illegal to carry, same with switch blades and assisted opening knives. Maximum pocket knife length's 3 1/2".