KeithHideWorks

Edge Guide for Consew 225 (and clones)

Lowes as well as home depot carry small packets of rare earth magnets, I made a guide out of the plastic wood that they sell, I don't have a photo handy but it is similar to one of the builds above.  The nice thing about the packets of magnets is they are not all that expensive to buy and of course for us here in the states there is usually a store near by.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:30 PM, KeithHideWorks said:

So I got the Magnet it in. Lets just say its a little too powerfull for this machine. Going to look into getting a smaller one and trying that.  This one is WAY WAY to powerfull and takes everything I have just to move it. I really don't want to operate the machine with this massive magnetic field that attracts everything metallic within 8inches.  I am thinking a smaller, round one will work better as an index.

This is a N50, 71LB magnet and is 3x.5x.5.   Something with much less than half this magnet power, I'm thinking in the 25lb range would be a much better choice.

Debating between:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX884DCS&cat=173

or 

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DA8

I used two this size.  https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RC22CS-S&cat=173

They seem to hold well but not so strongly that I have to leaver it off.

It's had a couple of coats of polyurethane now too.

Edge Guide4.jpg

Edge Guide5.jpg

Edited by NCArcher

Nice one, DC! I like the simplicity and the brassy steam punk look of it. A tight screw beats a magnet most of the time. 

NC, the wood looks nice. Now, as for the rest of the machine....:lol:.

Sark, yep, I agree, a screw-attached fitting would be the better choice. The problem I have is that I have several different machines I may need to fit an edge guide to and after much pondering and fiddling I figured the magnetic type would allow me to shift one guide between several machines.

Uwe, thanks for ripping open the knife holder, I have, for some time, been curious what they were made of.

On 1/27/2017 at 7:11 PM, SARK9 said:

OOPS. This is the guide mounted in the table.

-DC

Guide_2a.jpg

This edge guide is just my type!  I would love to make one... or better yet... pay you to make one for me!?  :yeah:

Did you drill/thread the holes through the brass rectangle?  Where did you get your parts?  Seriously - if you sell these let me know!  :)

My question is, where do you get that little spring clip holding the slide plate in place? My Consew 226 does not have this.

54 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

My question is, where do you get that little spring clip holding the slide plate in place? My Consew 226 does not have this.

Comes with it on from the factory with a Juki.

Not sure the exact model because it is probably a generic China product but I got a GREAT magnetic one from my sewing machine guy. It sticks very hard but isn’t so hard the I need a screwdriver to lift it. Has a great tab that allows for tilting the magnet and then it’s easier to lift off. 

Looks like this one:

https://sterlingsewing.com/products/sewing-machine-extra-large-magnetic-seam-guide-2-1-2-x-1-3-8-x-1-2

Edited by ensitmike

On 1/27/2017 at 1:53 PM, Uwe said:

Since this topic is sorta-kinda morphing into a show&tell of DIY magnetic edge guides, I started tinkering. I live near an IKEA and IKEA hacks are one of my favorite things. I made a magnetic edge guide based on an IKEA  $9 GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack bar and a small $4 BLANKETT handle (longer ones cost more). Each knife rack has twelve rare earth magnet bars glued to the back. The magnets can be removed carefully (the magnets are brittle, I broke one out of the twelve.) The BLANKETT handle comes in different lengths, has a low and a high guide edge and a nice, smooth anodized brush finish.

The small version of the handle is just the right size for a set of three of the magnet bars and fits on the slide plate. I cut a longer handle to size to fit nine magnet bars for a stronger hold and longer guide edge. Simple double sided adhesive tape a or a few drops of glue will hold the magnets to the handles. The handles are big enough to grab with your fingers when pulling the guide off and the holding force can be adjusted by adding/removing magnets.

I didn't spend quite enough time to scrape the glue residue off the magnets to make it look super pretty, but it's functional and can be made to look nice. I'm attaching a few pictures. 

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

I've had great success with the Harbor Freight magnetic tool holder (https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-magnetic-tool-holder-60433.html). I put the magnet side down on the table and the metal edge won't budge for anything. Putting it too close to the needle makes the feed dogs hit the metal edge but that was quickly solved with a few minutes on the grinder...