I used to shy away from projects that included light weight leather, such as deer skin/ calves skin, upholstery leather and the like....

I just didn't like bothering with making the adjustments on my big machine.....

I finally decided I wanted to get the right machine to do the light stuff....found it in the Singer 15.91. I researched it and decided it was the machine I needed, so set out to find one. It took about two days and found one on Craigs. I really lucked out...this one is clean and had been very well maintained...and did I say CLEAN!! 

With the right needle and thread, it is perfect for leather up to about 5-6oz I figure...I'm sure some can do better, but I won't push it as my big gun is at the ready for heavier stuff. And it will also do fabric with a needle and thread swap.

It's called a "home sewing machine", but darn nice having it in the shop....

Singer 15.91.jpeg

Rick,

Those are built like a 31-15,it's pretty hard to find one that nice looking!

I used to own a Singer 15-91 and can tell you what amount of leather it can and can't sew. Technically, anything that can go under the presser foot can be "sewn." But, in my experience, this machine is limited by two un-changeable items: 1: the semi-gutless motor; 2: the bottom feed only with fine teeth.

I found that I was able to sew into about 6-7 ounces of bridle leather, with #69 bonded thread, using a #18 leather point needle. This required the foot pressure screw to be screwed quite far down. Sewing the same amount of veg-tan belting required a little more foot pressure. Moving up to an 8-19 ounce piece of the above leathers required the presser foot screw to be screwed all the way down. The drag on top fought against the feed dogs and shortened the stitch length. My attempts to sew 10-12 ounces of leather failed. The pressure spring couldn't hold the leather down and it skipped stitches and hardly moved along.

I did try changing to a Teflon foot. This let the leather slide through with less drag. All it accomplished was the maintaining of the stitch length. I even bought a so-called walking foot attachment and installed it. This foot reduced the clearance under the feet and did very little to improve the feeding. The thicker or tougher the leather, the harder it was to penetrate and move it along. The motor would groan and eventually began smoking. I had to rebuild the motor to sell off the machine.

Sounds to me Wiz, you were demanding something out of the machine that it wasn't intended for.

As I said before, I have a machine standing by  (Cowboy 3500) for the heavy lifting. "Home machines" know their limitations....IMO

Great looking little machine ya got Rayban. Agree stick within its limits and it'll probably be passed on once again after your done with it.

9 hours ago, Rayban said:

Sounds to me Wiz, you were demanding something out of the machine that it wasn't intended for.

As I said before, I have a machine standing by  (Cowboy 3500) for the heavy lifting. "Home machines" know their limitations....IMO

Exactly! I got the 15-91 before I got any industrial machines, for the second time around. I've had and sold off over fifteen industrial sewing machines, leaving me out of sewing at home from 2003 through 2010. During that time I was strictly doing computer troubleshooting and webmaster work (actually from 1997 through 2010). Any sewing I did was at M&M Leather. Now I have lots of big iron again.

Yeah I have the Singer 221-1, the Singer 319, and a Singer 500a. All old home machines and they can sew canvas and light 2-3 oz leather.  It issue I have are those thin needles, and regular thead.  Now that I found the heavier threads that is what made me move up to the bigger machines.  Yes the walking foot is great, but the 207 thread really looks good in all leather.  Haha 

i like your 15-91 looks nice! 

Yetibelle...I'm using size 69 nylon thread and #16 chiseled needle (from Toledo Industrial Machine)..very strong.