I have been thinking of buying an airbrush an was hoping to get your opinion on what kind you have or recommend. I want a good one, an where to buy it.

Thanks 

I bought a single action unit on Amazon for  $12.99 with Prime shipping.   Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SUTMVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works great for spraying dye or finishes.  If you are looking to spray fine details when painting leather designs, probably should get a double action airbrush - will cost anywhere from $60 to $400.  I have a Paasche double action brush that will cost you about $85 and it will paint far beyond my skill level!

I bought the Paasche from Hobby Lobby, use the 40% off coupon on the app.  Its amazing,  Ive used it for the pro oil and water based Fiebings. Big savings on the amout of dye being used, and goes without saying the coverage is flawless.  No more dark spots.  And if you are into an Ombre look... WOW.  

This is a good deal on a good brush.  Everything but the compressor (which you can get at Harbor Frieght for about $100 -- last forever).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-VL-SET-Airbrush-Set-Double-Action-Internal-Mix-Siphon-Feed-/222233824521?hash=item33be2b0d09:g:1wYAAOSwxN5WXePt

Short video shows just how easy this is to use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVHrTPf1AQ

And this brush will go from that broad, simple approach to pretty fine detail without altering anything at all.  

fade.jpgSo the same brush that does this :

snubby.jpgWill also do this :

And this :  

rose1.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

I purchased the Paasche double action from Springfield Leather. Really like it and I would definitely recommend getting a double action.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:40 AM, bgl500 said:

I purchased the Paasche double action from Springfield Leather. Really like it and I would definitely recommend getting a double action.

@bgl500 what makes you recommend double over single action? If I'm interested in getting an even coat more so than being able to fade or anything like that. Would double action still be the right choice for me?

I have several air brushes, Paache VL x2, two Iwata, one siphon feed and one gravity, and I can tell you the best bang for the buck is this set.  https://www.amazon.com/Wakrays-Master-Airbrush-Professional-System/dp/B01JISBYN6/ref=lp_8090750011_1_25?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1488268594&sr=1-25-spons&psc=1

I have two of them, and the features and extras for 30 bucks make it easily the best money.  They aren't as smooth as the Iwata, but they spray just as well, and only take a little more maintenance than the Iwata.  

1 hour ago, strathmoredesigns said:

@bgl500 what makes you recommend double over single action? If I'm interested in getting an even coat more so than being able to fade or anything like that. Would double action still be the right choice for me?

Double action allows you to control both airflow and media flow.  A single action controls the mix so if you're looking to do only finishes, or a single color, you could use a single.  However, you can do that with a double by holding full stop for both actions AND you can do fades and shading.  They aren't difficult to learn to control if you want.

Not to give the wrong impression ... a brush is not "better" because it's double action.  I have seen some art work done with a Paasche model H far beyond anything I've ever seen on this site .

Years ago, I knew a guy who used only the H, and i had only the VL.  He was no artist by any stretch, but that model H let him spray a "fade" all day long (in fact, it was about  all he knew).    

Really, the difference in using one versus the other is not much. Both siphon feed (sucks the dye up from a cup), both push a button down more or less to vary the air flow amount.  Beyond that, the amount of dye is controlled in the VL by pulling the lever back more or less, and controlled in the H by turning a screw more or less (almost like a small hose nozzle).  I've seen people use both types very well :dunno:

A word of disclaimer -- I've used these brushes for years, with no trouble.  I still use them, because if something gets 'boogered', I can get parts (needles and caps) for them right down town.  And in the end, I use them because i know these models.  But there are thousands of versions out there, and many are quite good.

I agree with all the above comments but in the long run feel a double action is easier to use.