chuckgaudette

Question about my bell skiver

I have a Consew bell skiver. Its fairly new (6 months) and I think I have it set up correctly. The problem I have is with the ball that feeds the material. Often, especially with relatively thin goat, the waste material sticks to the ball. So then that waste material comes around and under the material thats about to go through and causes irregular skived thickness. Sometimes even tearing the material. Is there anything I can do about this?

Chuck 

I have in the past suffered this same problem. I have looked up the Consew models and I do not see a version with an aspirator. That is a vacuum set up that pulls away the waste and down into a collection box. This still fails if there is any stickiness or glue on the underside of the leather. Very spongy leather can sometimes still like to stick sometimes. I sold the machine that did not have an aspirator as I was lucky enough to pick up one with an aspirator and the difference is hugely improved. I have attached a couple of pics to show one of the skivers with the suction attachment. Let me know if you need any more pics or a video and I will try and get some thing together. I am hoping that some people with machines without aspirators have some more helpful answers Regards Brian

DSC08053_resize.JPG

Suction tubes.jpg

Suction tube 1.jpg

Suction tube 2.jpg

Thanks Rocky, That's interesting. I've seen machines with a waste bin but I didn't know that they had a suction system. I just thought scraps fell in by gravity. Mine of course just has a hole in the table so the scraps can collect in a pile on my knees. I seem to recall somewhere that there are alternatives to the stone ball feeder. Something like a rubber ball. Don't know if this Consew has such an option. 

Have tried the rubber ball but as one of my staff quickly found when adjusting the angle in relation to the blade that the knife can slice in to it quite well. I no longer have a rubber feed wheel that is nice and round. They still suffer the same problem so save your money. There are also fine and course stones also but I found the course works well for most as long as the blade is kept sharp. 

I had a bell knife (not a Consew) with a steel feed wheel with milled lines. It was like the feed roller on a crank splitter. It fed a variety of leathers from firm skirting to very soft chrome tans better than the stone wheels. I don't recall ever having the sticking problem with the steel wheel like I did occasionally with the stone wheel.  

thanks Rocky for saving me the cost of a rubber ball. 

Bruce, I'll look into a steel wheel and see if one is available of my machine. 

I'm interested in this too: any other opinions from people using skivers without vacuum device? Is it worth buying one without this device? How are you dealing with it? What kind of leather are you skiving?

Seems the vacuum is important in the functioning of the skiver, but that version is more expensive.

7 hours ago, chuckgaudette said:

thanks Rocky for saving me the cost of a rubber ball. 

Bruce, I'll look into a steel wheel and see if one is available of my machine. 

With regards to using a steel wheel which from memory most of these machines come with standard , the spacing on the one I have here is about 2mm spacing and quite deep. This is good for saddlery leathers but not what I would use for finer leathers that you would use in wallets and watch band type work. It tends to skive a bit wavy like and not good on a feather edge . A stone also can be used a little to remove the inside edge burr if carefully done but a fluted steel feed wheel will certainly make a mess of the blade if you don't adjust with extreme caution. 

Thanks Rocky, I appreciate your advice. BTW, I admire your work

Thanks for compliment. I tried to do a video on the weekend on the skiving machine with some help. End result I showed and talked and pointed for 1/2 hour or more to find later the "HELP" had mistakenly stopped the recording 3 seconds in. Presently making a camera stand, I'll try again when I am a bit more peaceful of mind.:no:.

I hate it when that happens. Just can't get good help anymore. Thanks for trying. 

On 21/01/2017 at 8:35 PM, gigi said:

I'm interested in this too: any other opinions from people using skivers without vacuum device? Is it worth buying one without this device? How are you dealing with it? What kind of leather are you skiving?

Seems the vacuum is important in the functioning of the skiver, but that version is more expensive.

I have a Fortuna with no suction. It occasionally picks pieces up on the feed wheel if I'm doing long skives of softer leather. Does the job very well on the whole. I'd likely buy one with vacume next time but not a big problem not having it imo

5 hours ago, cjmt said:

I have a Fortuna with no suction. It occasionally picks pieces up on the feed wheel if I'm doing long skives of softer leather. Does the job very well on the whole. I'd likely buy one with vacume next time but not a big problem not having it imo

Hi Charlie, What feed wheel do you have? Metal with milled lines or a porous stone?

The stone, it mostly skives goat

Campbell Randall has pressers and feeding wheels for skiving machines, the feed roller are sold on width, 50 and 30 mm (and more) they are pretty universal parts that fit most skiving machines ( Chinese Fortuna clones). I have a steel wheel that I'm using on vegtan and heavier leather, stone wheel for upholstery type leather. My machine has a suction/exhaust system and I never had this trouble with any of my feed wheel.

Tor