Kangaroo

Support material for a case

Hello. I'm still pretty new to leatherworking.

I would like to make an iPad case for a friend. I have ideas for a design, but I don't know how I would add stability and protection. The cases you can buy from the store have a hard inner sheet under a thin, fake leather. Does anyone know what that hard sheet is made of, or what might work as a substitute?

If all else fails, I might just use heavier leather without an inner sheet.

Thanks!

Typically it is made of plain old cardboard, just like the stuff that is on the back of a standard notepad.  And the "leather" isn't really leather either, just some fake paper thin imitation stuff.  Even the highest end handbags incorporate a paper/cardboard based material to create rigidity, it is called bag stiffener and is available from just about every leather supplier online or from a Tandy Leather store if you have one close by.  I prefer to use thicker leather for the exteriors of such items and then use the thinner materials for the interior parts.  My exteriors are typically 5 to 6 oz. veg-tan to meet my needs.

I wet form most of my bags/cases and can use lighter weight veg tan by thermoforming Kydex or Boltaron over mold, then wet form leather over Kydex and mold.  Kydex can be sewn through by using one size larger needle than normal and the right machine. 0.060" or even 0.080" thickness makes 4 oz. leather very rigid.

I made a laptop case one time for a friend. I wet formed the case an lined it with soft stable, you can buy it at your local fabric shop.

The stuff I use is from, https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=95720&device=c&source=NBSSEMB worked out nice.