Evenin all... been lurkng for a while and admiring all the skills and talent here.  Thought I'd post a few things I finished up today.  I'm a newb - did a little tooling and kit projects some time back but nothing really useful.  Recently started back up and acquired a nice old Singer industrial... and here are my attempts at using it.  The black/gray journal cover is from reclaimed leather (some old purses)... the wallet is from an old leather coat and the change purse/business card holder is also from reclaimed.  The brown journal cover and the messenger bag is from a 4.5oz side from Tandy.

TodaysProjects.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Thank you Bikermutt.  Not sure if a lot of folks do any work with "reclaimed" leather, but my wife and I craft quite a bit with reclaimed items - I do a lot of woodturning with woods recovered due to storm or ice damage... a lot of the blacksmithing I do is with material from a local salvage yard.  Knives are the exception... need to know for sure what I'm using in them.  Thought I would apply the same thinking to leather and so far, it's been interesting.  Here are a couple of pictures of the leather recovered from three coats I found at a flea market for $5 - that was for all three.

Coat1].jpg

Coat2and3.jpg

That's great. Leather isn't cheap, and like my boss says "turn that trash into cash".

Several people here have mentioned scavaging sofas and jackets for material. 

Keep on keeping on.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:36 PM, Crashresq said:

Thank you Bikermutt.  Not sure if a lot of folks do any work with "reclaimed" leather, but my wife and I craft quite a bit with reclaimed items - I do a lot of woodturning with woods recovered due to storm or ice damage... a lot of the blacksmithing I do is with material from a local salvage yard.  Knives are the exception... need to know for sure what I'm using in them.  Thought I would apply the same thinking to leather and so far, it's been interesting.  Here are a couple of pictures of the leather recovered from three coats I found at a flea market for $5 - that was for all three.

Coat1].jpg

Coat2and3.jpg

I used to this a lot when I first started, as I had no idea where to find leather.  Also, I had no idea about the various properties and purposes of/for all the various types of leather.  As a newb, I thought, "leather is leather".  I still buy up old jackets to use the pieces as inlays, tinder pouches, linings and arrow quivers. I've also made some really nice pencil roll cases with re-claimed leather...only warn leather has that "warm" glow to it.  Anyway, great find!