sam000lee

Consew 206RB-5 vs. Singer 111w152

Been a member for a while but mostly as an observer. I'm looking for an upgrade to my Singer 31-15. I currently use it mostly for sewing canvas and waxed canvas although sometimes use it to make leather motorcycle seat covers.The machine works great but I want a walking foot machine that's going to be able to get over some bits of thicker seems as well going through leather as well.

I'll mostly be using it for waxed canvas travel gear that has leather parts and straps (think a waxed canvas bag with a leather bottom). It would also be nice to have a machine that could handle stitching through 2 layers of 8-10oz leather for making other accessory type stuff.

So, what are the limitations of these two machines? What others might you recommend for this type of work? There's a 111w152 near me on craigslist for $400 (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hsh/5952767170.html) which seems quite reasonable.

The 206RB-5 seems like a popular model so it would be really helpful to hear from anybody with experience with this machine and what you used it for. I would probably buy it new (~$1,400) and am open to suggestions for other machines that are less than or equal to that amount.

Thanks!

In your area I would get this over the 111 for what your doing http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/5964036770.html it has reverse, looks like a good machine, and comes with a servo motor already. 

The 206RB new is going to be a nice setup that will do what you want and can handle a little thicker thread. It would be the way to go if you have the money to spend on it. No question as to its past and depending on where you get it there is a warranty with the machine. 

I think I'd drive a bit farther and look at something like this one....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/5959643622.html

This Seiko has a walking foot (the Singer 211 is a needle feed) plus the bigger *M* sized bobbin... and its arguably one of the best in class for its type.

-DC

That Seiko is a steal at that price. They are great machines, I have one and am very happy with it. It would be worth checking that one out.

I believe Seiko makes Consew, so they are probably the exact same machine, but less than half the price. I would grab that up if you had the opportunity. The Seiko may need a new pulley or speed reducer though. Looks like it is setup for cloth, not leather. That big motor pulley and little handwheel will suffer in the torque department punching through leather. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

I have a Consew 206RB and it is a bad cat. Love that machine.

Was about to mention the same, after singer went out Seiko took the lead and also makes their Consew.

The 211  is nice, im not sure which came with the bigger bobbin, all these designs here are some smooth runners but ones with reverse are pulling the lead for sure. Now the Seiko copy of the 211 i always liked also if thats lurkin local somewhere.

So with these a top loader or a side loader?

Ya got me searching craigslist a thousands miles away or close to it anyway, i best check on the game.

good luck and several nice buys listed

Floyd

Thanks for the input everyone and for doing some searching for me. That Seiko looks great, it's about 2 hours from me so I'll have to wait until next weekend to go take a look. Looks like a side load bobbin, right?

This may be a stupid question since I'm somewhat new to the world of sewing machines (I've used my 31-15 for years now but haven't really looked at other machines until recently), but if the two machines are branded differently but are the `same' machine, are they literally the SAME machine? The 206RB seems popular enough that I imagine servicing/getting parts for it should be fairly easy so the same should go for the Seiko, right?

Thanks again, super helpful.

2 hours ago, SARK9 said:

I think I'd drive a bit farther and look at something like this one....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/5959643622.html

This Seiko has a walking foot (the Singer 211 is a needle feed) plus the bigger *M* sized bobbin... and its arguably one of the best in class for its type.

-DC

Yeah I would go for that one as well, I didnt look that far out just took glance at the local area. 

I just bought a Seiko, it looks the same as the one Sark posted. Based on my experience it's definitely the preferred choice. Mine easily handles up to 138 thread and will go through whatever I can fit under the foot. A beautiful machine. Plus that one on CL comes with a servo, which is even better! I drove for an hour across town for mine and it was worth it.

Consew is the brand name that Seiko use for the American market, so essentially the same machine.