KimRulien

getting ready for first show

Hi all,

Happy New Year, Prosperous New Year!

I am trying to get my self geared up for my first art shows this year. I got the idea to attend from this forum and I am excited...I have choosen only 3 local shows in some pretty cool venues in Minnesota.

Here is my question, the shows I want into are 'juried' not a big deal as far as my product goes, but they also want pictures of my display! Well, I don't have one yet...I found a great canopy with 4 walls (ezup style) and will likely order it, then get Husband (great wood worker) to build displays for my guitar straps.

Do you think I will need to set this whole thing up and photograph it all in my garage or something??? I need to send it in by March 31...or just close up of the displays (once I get those built) It is cold here in Wisconsin and I can't imagine they want to see a snowy photo...or should I set it up in the snow and freak em' out for my enthusiasm? LOL!

Next question; When I send in my art photos, do you think I can send in the photos of the art against guitars like on my website www.ruliens.com or should i take pics with straps only?

I know I seem sort of dim about all this but I really want in to these 3 shows...less for selling and more for feed back and self confidence.

I am not sure that what I am doing will get considered as art though I feel it is.

'nother question; can we disscuss booths again please...I have read and re-read all the stuff on the forum and I think there is more to learn on this subject.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, this place rocks! It has really pushed me along and given me motivation and help

Edited by KimRulien

I've been doing a lot of research into booths - I'm not sure I know anything useful but what did you want to discuss?

Personally, I'd like some ideas about the sort of background colours and fabric people use for their booths. I am almost settled on using hair-on reindeer hides for the table part of mine. They have a nice range of natural colours and lay pretty flat and the fur is very pretty. The best bit is that the leather really stands out against it. I'm now trying to identify some backdrop material for the back and sides of the booth. Like you I want to display guitar straps, but I also intend to hang some tooled and carved bags, archery quivers and wide belts with gemstones set into them. A trickly combination of items and colours so I think a plain colour is called for. I don't particularly like hessian as IMHO it looks cheap - hey, it is cheap and i've used it plenty of times in the past but I feel with this economic situation it is time to go up market with the look of the booth and keep the price of the goods reasonable - any thoughts?

I've been doing a lot of research into booths - I'm not sure I know anything useful but what did you want to discuss?

Personally, I'd like some ideas about the sort of background colours and fabric people use for their booths. I am almost settled on using hair-on reindeer hides for the table part of mine. They have a nice range of natural colours and lay pretty flat and the fur is very pretty. The best bit is that the leather really stands out against it. I'm now trying to identify some backdrop material for the back and sides of the booth. Like you I want to display guitar straps, but I also intend to hang some tooled and carved bags, archery quivers and wide belts with gemstones set into them. A trickly combination of items and colours so I think a plain colour is called for. I don't particularly like hessian as IMHO it looks cheap - hey, it is cheap and i've used it plenty of times in the past but I feel with this economic situation it is time to go up market with the look of the booth and keep the price of the goods reasonable - any thoughts?

My logo is the sun you see on my posts so I was thinking to use like a 3 or 4 piece folding screen so to speak with a burnt orange to match logo velvet or velveteen material sort of stretched in between the frames then I can set them up anywhere and use both side or just one as stock (hopefully) is sold

I wondered about using bamboo shades (or a fence roll of bamboo) to hang on inside of tent to act as weights and warm up the feel...not sure I want all white interior when sides are down... however I thing using just the back or 2 sides may give more layout options

my biggest fret now is getting it done and somehow photographed for the sign up time at the end of March...how can I do that in winter yipes

My logo is the sun you see on my posts so I was thinking to use like a 3 or 4 piece folding screen so to speak with a burnt orange to match logo velvet or velveteen material sort of stretched in between the frames then I can set them up anywhere and use both side or just one as stock (hopefully) is sold

I wondered about using bamboo shades (or a fence roll of bamboo) to hang on inside of tent to act as weights and warm up the feel...not sure I want all white interior when sides are down... however I thing using just the back or 2 sides may give more layout options

my biggest fret now is getting it done and somehow photographed for the sign up time at the end of March...how can I do that in winter yipes

I'd be concerned about using velvet or velveteen as it absorbs water so easily and takes ages to dry. I had a wonderful black velvet cloth that got put away after a show and by the next week was foul with mildew as it wasn't properly dry when it was rolled up. Also velvet creases really badly - not a problem if you like the crushed look... I have used drop down bamboo shades in the past and they worked quite well until somebody sat on one in the van on the way home. I couldn't get a replacement and so had to change the whole set up as it looked silly with one missing. The fence roll sounds good but how big is that stuff - the only roll I have seen was huge.

What about using the stuff they use as to make windbreaks in garden centres? It comes in several colours, seems almost indestructible and is waterproof. I'm going to have a look at what is available in the UK.

I'd be concerned about using velvet or velveteen as it absorbs water so easily and takes ages to dry. I had a wonderful black velvet cloth that got put away after a show and by the next week was foul with mildew as it wasn't properly dry when it was rolled up. Also velvet creases really badly - not a problem if you like the crushed look... I have used drop down bamboo shades in the past and they worked quite well until somebody sat on one in the van on the way home. I couldn't get a replacement and so had to change the whole set up as it looked silly with one missing. The fence roll sounds good but how big is that stuff - the only roll I have seen was huge.

What about using the stuff they use as to make windbreaks in garden centres? It comes in several colours, seems almost indestructible and is waterproof. I'm going to have a look at what is available in the UK.

The rolls are for gardens to cover fences and such in patios etc...make them pretty and you could trim it to size...there are several places on internet that sell different options.

As for the velvet it would be stretched on the folding display screen so would never get rolled up or wrinkled...though you may be right I will check into lots of fabric options

Hi all,

Happy New Year, Prosperous New Year!

I am trying to get my self geared up for my first art shows this year. I got the idea to attend from this forum and I am excited...I have choosen only 3 local shows in some pretty cool venues in Minnesota.

Here is my question, the shows I want into are 'juried' not a big deal as far as my product goes, but they also want pictures of my display! Well, I don't have one yet...I found a great canopy with 4 walls (ezup style) and will likely order it, then get Husband (great wood worker) to build displays for my guitar straps.

Do you think I will need to set this whole thing up and photograph it all in my garage or something??? I need to send it in by March 31...or just close up of the displays (once I get those built) It is cold here in Wisconsin and I can't imagine they want to see a snowy photo...or should I set it up in the snow and freak em' out for my enthusiasm? LOL!

Next question; When I send in my art photos, do you think I can send in the photos of the art against guitars like on my website www.ruliens.com or should i take pics with straps only?

I know I seem sort of dim about all this but I really want in to these 3 shows...less for selling and more for feed back and self confidence.

I am not sure that what I am doing will get considered as art though I feel it is.

'nother question; can we disscuss booths again please...I have read and re-read all the stuff on the forum and I think there is more to learn on this subject.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, this place rocks! It has really pushed me along and given me motivation and help

Kim,

You need to set it up. In the garage is fine, but minimize the amount of extraneous stuff in the background...maybe try to hang simple, matching, sheets behind it for a back-drop (seeing all the lumber and tools in the garage makes it look unprofessional!). They want this photo in order to determine whether your display is professional enough for their show. During subsequent shows, photograph it when it's set up so you'll have it for future juries.

I would avoid taking photos of the straps with guitars. They are jurying the piece...that's all they want to see. Adding other stuff to the photo has great potential to confuse them, and could result in being rejected out-right (I've never seen it, but I've also never seen a photo with anything other than the jury piece). Look at Peter Main's stuff. I think he's got the best jury photos on this board.

If you want further discussion on art show booths, a good place to go is WetCanvas.com. Good luck.

Dale

Kim,

You need to set it up. In the garage is fine, but minimize the amount of extraneous stuff in the background...maybe try to hang simple, matching, sheets behind it for a back-drop (seeing all the lumber and tools in the garage makes it look unprofessional!). They want this photo in order to determine whether your display is professional enough for their show. During subsequent shows, photograph it when it's set up so you'll have it for future juries.

I would avoid taking photos of the straps with guitars. They are jurying the piece...that's all they want to see. Adding other stuff to the photo has great potential to confuse them, and could result in being rejected out-right (I've never seen it, but I've also never seen a photo with anything other than the jury piece). Look at Peter Main's stuff. I think he's got the best jury photos on this board.

If you want further discussion on art show booths, a good place to go is WetCanvas.com. Good luck.

Dale

Hey Dale...I meant set up the whole tent in the garage...as for the display I have large enough areas indoors to photograph that. I just thought the show jury wanted to see the whole set up...I am in a rush to do all this...thanks for the links!

Hey Dale...I meant set up the whole tent in the garage...as for the display I have large enough areas indoors to photograph that. I just thought the show jury wanted to see the whole set up...I am in a rush to do all this...thanks for the links!

As did I. The jury wants to see the tent set up with everything inside as you will have it on display during the show/festival.

Pegboard makes an excellent 3 sided screen as a backdrop or for hanging stuff and it will stand by itself on a table. Perhaps paint it in a light color that will enhance your work, not overwhelm it. I don't know how much room you'll be allowed but it's often the space of a table. Some inexpensive broadcloth would make a nice table cloth and it comes in many colors.

go to the bedding departmant - buy sheets

Pre hemmed

if you want to hang them all you have to do is run a cord through the top hem (although shower curtians work well for that too)

lots of colors

ususally much better price than the same amount of broadcloth.....

better yet --- permapress -- they don't wrinkle as bad, nor do they requre special handling like velvet.....(although if you wash velvet once it becomes washable.)

Or if you want small pieces of fancy material -- go to GoodWill or other thrift shops -- bridesmaid dresses are usually pretty cheap, and if they have a full skirt, a respectable amout of material as well.

I just picked up two for eight dollars each not too long ago. (for Jane the Queen)

although if you want velvet get the crushed stuff - it is already wrinkled so it doesn't matter if it gets wadded up in a ball......

as far as the photos go - list your website - if they want to see "pretty pics" they can go there - send them the boreing ones that just show what you do.