#104 Tubular Rivet Help

Hello,

I just picked up a used Weaver Little Wonder press.  It has the #104 rivet setter and splash plate attachment.

I need to feed it some rivets.  I went to make a purchase at Weaver and they kicked my order back and apparently closed my wholesale account (after a few years of being an account holder) because they have a new wholesale program now where you must make a minimum purchase of $1,000 to qualify for wholesale prices.  Well...... I'd rather not spend my money there ever again.

My question is are these #104 rivets exclusive to Weaver or is there an alternative I can buy.  I would also like to get a caps and a cap setter as well.

Ideally I would like the Hanson Mil-Spec rivets for this project but I have no idea what size to order.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very Much.

Here's the Hanson Mil-Spec chart which can be found at:   http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/tubular-rivets/

rivet-1-1.jpg

Mil-Spec Tubular Rivets
button-print-gry20

Mil-Spec-Tubular-Rivets.png

BASIC
MIL-SPEC
PART NUMBER
HEAD
STYLE
BODY
DIAMETER

“A”
HEAD
DIAMETER

“B”
HEAD
HEIGHT

“C”
HOLE
DEPTH

“D”
FILLET
RADIUS

“E”
CLINCH
ALLOWANCE

“F”
WORK
HOLE

“G”
MIN / MAX MIN / MAX MIN / MAX
MS20450-C4- * OVAL .058/.061 .104/.114 .015/.019 .044 .005 .037 .064
MS20450-C6- * OVAL .085/.089 .142/.152 .020/.026 .064 .010 .054 .096
MS20450-D6-* 100° SHEAR .085/.089 .164/.172 .065 REF. .062 .010 .054 .096
MS20450-C8-* OVAL .118/.123 .213/.223 .030/.038 .089 .016 .074 .129
MS20450-D8-* 100° SHEAR .118/.123 .245/.255 .075/.085 .062 .010 .074 .129
MS20450-C9-* OVAL .141/.146 .229/.239 .035/.045 .106 .020 .088 .156
MS20450-D9-* 100° SHEAR .141/.146 .307/.317 .086/.096 .125 .010 .088 .156
MS20450-C12-* OVAL .182/.188 .306/.318 .055/.065 .137 .020 .122 .201
MS20450-D12-* 100° SHEAR .182/.188 .354/.364 .099/.109 .125 .010 .122 .201

104 rivets are not exclusive to anybody.  Just figure out the length you need for the job you are doing and buy them where ever they are convenient.

Thank you.  I haven't worked with this style rivet before.

What specifically make them a #104 size?  The head diameter... Body diameter?

We have a 103 and a 104 rivet.  Our 104 rivet should have a 1/8" tube and a 5/16" head.  We also sell a 103 which has a larger tube diameter and head diameter so i think the 104 is specific to the tube and head size.  But yes, you should be able to find them anywhere Weaver is not the only place.  However, our 104's do have a flat head and I am not sure how the driver will work with a domed head rivet.   

Sorry to hear your account was closed.  The requirement is $1200 per calendar year, and if you don't hit that and are closed then it takes a $500 opening order to open back up.  Once open again there is no order minimum through the year.  If you wouldn't hit the $1200 in 2017 then again next year you would need a $500 opening order.  I understand your frustrations, but just wanted to clarify.  You do not need to place a $1000 order to be able to buy wholesale.  

The anvil you need for the cap is our item # 65-6455 and is available for $18.25 on our retail site www.weaverleathersupply if you choose not to open your wholesale account back up.  

Good luck with your Little Wonder.  

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, 308 said:

Hello,

I just picked up a used Weaver Little Wonder press.  It has the #104 rivet setter and splash plate attachment.

I need to feed it some rivets.  I went to make a purchase at Weaver and they kicked my order back and apparently closed my wholesale account (after a few years of being an account holder) because they have a new wholesale program now where you must make a minimum purchase of $1,000 to qualify for wholesale prices.  Well...... I'd rather not spend my money there ever again.

My question is are these #104 rivets exclusive to Weaver or is there an alternative I can buy.  I would also like to get a caps and a cap setter as well.

Ideally I would like the Hanson Mil-Spec rivets for this project but I have no idea what size to order.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very Much.

What finish are you looking for and what is the thickness of materials you are wanting to rivet?  I have a bunch of NP and possibly BP #104 rivets in varying sizes that I'll never use and also some of what I call "odd-ball" rivets, that I also won't use. Some of them look similar to the Mil-spec rivets.  I can dig them out of storage and see just what I have if you are interested. Prices would be below wholesale.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:30 AM, Weaver Leather Supply said:

We have a 103 and a 104 rivet.  Our 104 rivet should have a 1/8" tube and a 5/16" head.  We also sell a 103 which has a larger tube diameter and head diameter so i think the 104 is specific to the tube and head size.  But yes, you should be able to find them anywhere Weaver is not the only place.  However, our 104's do have a flat head and I am not sure how the driver will work with a domed head rivet.   

Sorry to hear your account was closed.  The requirement is $1200 per calendar year, and if you don't hit that and are closed then it takes a $500 opening order to open back up.  Once open again there is no order minimum through the year.  If you wouldn't hit the $1200 in 2017 then again next year you would need a $500 opening order.  I understand your frustrations, but just wanted to clarify.  You do not need to place a $1000 order to be able to buy wholesale.  

The anvil you need for the cap is our item # 65-6455 and is available for $18.25 on our retail site www.weaverleathersupply if you choose not to open your wholesale account back up.  

Good luck with your Little Wonder.  

I'm appalled at this customer service for a wholesale customer. Wholesale should be based on being a business and trying to make something of yourself. Not how much money you spend.

I spend over $150,000 a year on materials and tools. Shouldn't you be fighting for my business instead of pushing people like me away with silly hurdles that make you appear uneasy to work with?

Are his $100 not good enough for you? All you have to do is let him have his account and be a happy customer so he can tell his friends about how wonderful Weaver is. Now you've lost him. That's silly business. It's an interesting mindset in a technology driven world. Because now I'm here, pissed at Weaver for treating him this way. 

I really hope you and your staff rethink this strategy. 

46 minutes ago, imstephenjones said:

I'm appalled at this customer service for a wholesale customer. Wholesale should be based on being a business and trying to make something of yourself. Not how much money you spend.

I spend over $150,000 a year on materials and tools. Shouldn't you be fighting for my business instead of pushing people like me away with silly hurdles that make you appear uneasy to work with?

Are his $100 not good enough for you? All you have to do is let him have his account and be a happy customer so he can tell his friends about how wonderful Weaver is. Now you've lost him. That's silly business. It's an interesting mindset in a technology driven world. Because now I'm here, pissed at Weaver for treating him this way. 

I really hope you and your staff rethink this strategy. 

Thank you Stephen!

To follow-up with the original post;  I purchased some rivets from Ohio Travel Bag (252 Series w/5/16" heads) and they don't work with the Little Wonder.  They just get mangled.  I think the Weaver 104 driver is too small or tight.  Ohio's rivet heads vary a very small amount in head size over 5/16".  I measured them with digital calipers to be sure.  The head catches inside the driver tube and the rivet will not punch straight.  I'm only trying to rivet through 2-layers of 6/8 gauge latigo which isn't too excessive for this machine.

I called Weaver for help with their product and to see if they sold a different driver without the rivet holder tube, I was transferred to another department, nobody picked up the phone and I had to leave a message.  I never got a call back.  I also sent Weaver Customer Service a message on their website chat, no rep signed on during business hours, and again, I had to leave a message and never got a response.

I called Ohio Travel Bag to see if their dies would work with the Little Wonder but they had no idea.  They were surprised to hear that the Weaver Little Wonder press could put a rivet through leather straps without punching a hole first and they said that their presses would not do that.

Not that I want to give any more money to Weaver but I see they now sell a new model Rex Riveter.  I'm interested in that because all I need to do is rivet right now and don't need to set snaps or spots of punch holes.  I really need the Weaver Loop Anvils to make keepers but it seems that those attachments are only compatible on their very big and expensive foot press machines.

If anyone wants to buy a barely used Little Wonder, shoot me a PM.  I will trade for a straight up rivet press that works without punching holes and will accept mil-spec rivets.

and by-the-way.... Ohio Travel Bag still honored my wholesale account without spending $500-$1200 a year.  They had the rivets in stock that i was looking for without having to buy 1,000 pcs at a time just to try different sizes.

Edited by 308

On 1/25/2017 at 2:33 PM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

What finish are you looking for and what is the thickness of materials you are wanting to rivet?  I have a bunch of NP and possibly BP #104 rivets in varying sizes that I'll never use and also some of what I call "odd-ball" rivets, that I also won't use. Some of them look similar to the Mil-spec rivets.  I can dig them out of storage and see just what I have if you are interested. Prices would be below wholesale.

Hi Big Sioux, Sorry for my delay in responding to you.  I thought this thread had died.  I'm still trying to find rivets that will work.

I'm looking for black finish, steel.  Going through two- layers of 5 min. - 8 max. gauge Latigo Straps. 

Thanks very much for trying to help but as you can see from the above post I don't even know if your rivets will work with my press even though Weaver said it will accept rivets made by other manufacturers....it does not.

I'll have to wait on your offer.  Thanks again.

Edited by 308