Hoffman

Naming my leather business/shop

Hello, 

I’m looking for a name for my leathercraft shop/business. I’m not quite ready to start selling yet, though I would like to have a name and website started and a stamp with my “brand” made.

At the moment my Instagram is “Crooked K Leather”: I’m not so fond of it anymore because it’s not too professional.

Here is my dilemma,

I would have liked “Hoffman Custom Leather”: My last name is Hoffman which is practically unavailable in every realm. I could use my name or middle name but I don’t want anything too feminine.

I thought of naming the business after my father from fort worth who is fighting cancer and donate but his name is Jay Lynn. Which is also a big name in the leather world: Jay lynn gore –(Circle Y, pattern designer, Tool maker etc.)

So I’m Kind of stumped on name ideas. I want to keep it close to home and short: ____ custom Leather or ____ Leather. I like letters and brands for my logo.

im doing western style items and want to do tack in the future. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Why not combine your name and your fathers Jay Lynn sounds ok I like Jay Hoffman. My favourite would be Hoffman Lynn for a stamp you could have the capital L wrapped around the H I still miss my Dad.

good luck with your new venture.

Crooked K sounds good to me.Especially if doing western. It invokes ranch names and cattle brands to me. You could even incorporate a Crooked K  cattle brand style into a logo. My name is Smith try that one.lol

how about Krooked K but if you really want to be at the top of lists figure out a name that starts with an A somehow and the reason if you don't know id that the A would put you at the top of listings!  just a thought something like (Absolutely Crooked K leather)  

Yep, I think crooked k is a great name for a western influenced leather company.

K is very popular with female leather crafters. All sorts of k's are used. Kk, double k, bar k, lazy k etc. that's my hesitation... my first name is Kaitlyn. I definitely want a brand like lettering in my logo 

8 minutes ago, Hoffman said:

K is very popular with female leather crafters. All sorts of k's are used. Kk, double k, bar k, lazy k etc. that's my hesitation... my first name is Kaitlyn. I definitely want a brand like lettering in my logo 

Crooked K doesn't suggest feminine to me at all. Sounds totally laid back ranch themey to me. If you have no worries of another company with that name, I suggest you rock it.

Crooked K Tack and Harness

Crooked K Saddlery

Crooked K Leather Goods

Crooked K Brand Pork n Beans

Crooked K Steakhouse

Crooked K Ribeye

It all sounds good.

I gotta agree with the others, nothing girly or feminine about Crooked K, it invokes the imagery of cattle ranches of the old west. And when you think leather, cows come to mind as well. And, you say you are already set up with that account, Own it! Rock it!

You could call it Steve.  Steve is a nice name

Sorry, too many pixar movies ;)

3 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

You could call it Steve.  Steve is a nice name

Sorry, too many pixar movies ;)

lol I'm dating one of those haha that might get weird 

Edited by Hoffman

Hoff-Lynn Leather?

6 hours ago, nstarleather said:

You've started off right by going for something not too generic.  Over the years I've had well over 1000 wholesale accounts, some of whom were leather workers and I had many:

"Leather Works Unlimited" , "The Leather Shoppe" or "The Leathersmith"...

It got confusing when people placed orders with the name of their business.   Everything you've mentioned seems unique enough to work well to stand apart. 

For some reason I feel like crooked k would be good for a jewelry or clothing botique. A brand with ___ k would be good but most are taken 

I thought the reason you were shying away from it was credibility.  

I agree with the others that it does sound perfect for leather work.  Make sure the K in your logo has a pronounced crooked appearance and that alone can help you stand apart from the crowd.  Get a decent artist to work up a logo and I think you will find that you love the name all over again.

4 hours ago, cjartist said:

I thought the reason you were shying away from it was credibility.  

I agree with the others that it does sound perfect for leather work.  Make sure the K in your logo has a pronounced crooked appearance and that alone can help you stand apart from the crowd.  Get a decent artist to work up a logo and I think you will find that you love the name all over again.

Yeah it just doesn't sound like a professional company ya know? It's just kind of cutesy sounding to me. Maybe I'm over thinking it. 

I don't see anything wrong with Crooked K.  I like it personally.  You can do some fun experimenting with that brand I think.

Just my opinion, in this particular period of time, I would personally shy away from any business with any form of crooked in the name. Just sayin'!

jr

Maybe have the K look like a brand or barbed wire?

Krooked K Krafts....you could just refer to it in your logo as KK.......ehhhhh......nevermind.:rolleyes:

I like Crooked K Leather, Kaitlyn Hoffman Leather

but wondering why you dont want it feminine?

Sadly (and obviously completely unfounded), a female leathercrafter is not seen by some as capable of producing anything other than twee frippery .    

This erroneous attitude, and preconception, can lead to websites being skipped over, unviewed by the buyer.

Their loss (IMHO).

7 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Sadly (and obviously completely unfounded), a female leathercrafter is not seen by some as capable of producing anything other than twee frippery .    

This erroneous attitude, and preconception, can lead to websites being skipped over, unviewed by the buyer.

Their loss (IMHO).

Have you ever seen the movie A Knight's Tale? Heath Ledger is a commoner pretending to be a Noble to compete in Tournaments. His armor is damaged, and since they don't have any money, can't find an Armorer to fix it. He has gone through almost all of them, until only a female Armorer is left. As he approaches her she has seen him going from tent to tent, and says "I don't do work for free... if you don't have the coin, I won't do the work."
He says "That is just as well, they all said I was daft to even consider you."
She bristles up, "Did they say I couldn't do the work because I'm a woman?"
"No, they didn't say it was because you were a woman, it's because your work is shite."

And of course, she takes the work to prove them wrong :) One of my favorite movies, because you get to see Geoffry Chaucer get thumped repeatedly. I still remember having to read Canterbury Tales in British Lit.

7 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Their loss (IMHO).

I'm not sure what twee frippery is, but I assume it's bad?  

If you want to avoid the possible negative slant of crooked K and such, but still want the western feel in a name, how about "Rockin' K" ... with a traditional brand style K with a curved line under it ...

Bill

And unfortunately a custom leather company...

image.png