JenGranger

How to make a bible cover?

I want to make a bible cover for my friend.  I'm a beginner and haven't a clue where to start.  What weight leather should I use?  Does it need to be wet formed?  Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or video?

I use two thicknesses, about 7 oz for the outside and 3-4 for the lining. I'd use 7 oz for the inside of the spine as well, for stiffness, use the lighter leather skived to a feather edge, foe the hinge pieces, and yes, you should have moist leather when you do you final forming -- not wet, just moist. I don't do videos, but can walk you through the hard parts if you want.

The thickness would depend on the size of the Bible.  Small book, maybe 5/6 oz leather -- large print edition, maybe 7/8 oz leather.

I prefer to make them one piece, but you can "section" them also.

Rather than waste time on videos and long-winded (and usually self-serving) speeches, spend a couple bucks and get Stohlman's book on making leather cases.... great and very clear instructions on several types of book covers.

Thanks y'all :)