darkmatter35

hand sewing ostrich leg

I'm making a knife sheath with ostrich leg and 2/3 cow lining. What is the best way to groove and mark my spacing for stitching? I grooved a test piece and ran a stitching wheel to mark spacing but could not see the marks. Also will the groove look unattractive? Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Thanks, John 

Its been a while but if I remember right I dont groove the ostrich. Its pretty thin to begin with. If you run your pricking wheel over it a couple of times the points should be somewhat easy to see. I really like it as a inlay where none of that matters but it also works good for the outer layer. 

One thing for a sheath I personally would go with atleast 5-6oz under the ostrich otherwise it wont be very sturdy. 

Wanted to add that as long as your groove matches the thickness of your thread it wont matter because you shouldnt be able to see it. If your grooving a dark color say black or dark brown and the groove is lighter I use a paint brush and dye the groove with something like cordovan or similar color and it gets rid of the difference. Then stitch as normal.  

gallery_5781_359_288353.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

Thanks for the advice, you did a nice job on your sheath, your edges are sure smooth. Do you think a lacing chisel would work better than the stitching wheel? I was thinking about purchasing one.

Take care,John

Ive got some pricking irons on the way (will be my first), Ive used pricking wheels since I started about 8 years ago and have always managed. 

The edges with ostrich knee arent that bad. I glued with weldwood or similar then stitched, ran the edger over like normal then burnished using similar method as Hidepounder does in his how to thread which is a recommended read if you havent already. 

If I remember correctly it was 6oz leather with the ostrich on the front side only. The back piece was I think two layers sandwiched together because the belt loop was cut into the outer piece. 

Edited by MADMAX22

You are spot on with the advice you gave me, I ran the stitching wheel without the groove and I can see the marks just fine. If this sheath comes out ok I will post a picture of it.

Thanks again, John

Post a picture anyways. Its always good to get some outside critique even when you think you know all the mistakes you have made. Sometimes we tend to dwell on little things being craftsman and all. 

Ostridge is difficult to see my marks on.  My last attempt I used my Pricking Iron after marking guide lines with a ruler and a white pencil.  Once I set the iron to work I simply erased the lines.  It came out surprisingly well for me.  I know I still need lots of practice but it's a start. At least my lines are getting straighter.