JeepishGrin

USMC Rapid Outsole Stitcher - Manual, Manual, wherefore art thou?!

I was just given a United Shoe Machinery Corporation (USMC) Goodyear Rapid Outsole Stitcher Model ORL (Often called a "Model O").   This was once the industry standard Curved Needle Machine. It's in great shape.  

My Model O belonged to a USMC technician for over four decades.  Before the 1960s, it was at the Justin Boot factory in Texas.  I plan to get the old girl sewing again and make my own shoes.

I need to figure out how to thread it.  I'm looking for someone who has a manual or one of these old machines.  

I'm a brand new member in Texas.  

Edited by JeepishGrin

Welcome to Leatherworker.net Mr. JeepishGrin!

Post some pictures of your machine when you get a chance. I actually have no idea what it even looks like and there seems to be absolutely nothing online about your machine.

In the absence of an original manual, sometimes your best bet is a manual of a machine that is very similar.  Check out the Sutton Rapid-E Outsole Stitcher Manual and see if the Sutton is a similar design to yours. If yes, you may be able to thread yours the same way, or you may be able to figure out how yours should be threaded just using the Rapid-E threading as a starting point.

Hey Uwe!

I'll try to figure out how to add a photo.  The thing looks like Sigourney Weaver's and the Alien's love child.  It's a beast!

USMC was sued by the government because back in the day because they had a virtual monopoly on shoe making machines.  Yeah, I know what you mean about the dearth of information on the Net.  I've found a few pictures and lots about the USMC litigation, but no technical info.

Looks like my photo is too big to load.  I'll work on that.

Edited by JeepishGrin

I recently posted some instructions on picture resizing in this topic: 

Here's the "Before" photo of my "Model 0" USMC Outsole Stitcher.  It's solid.  It's all there.  I have lots of spare parts.  I NEED A MANUAL!!!

This photo was taken while it was sitting in the Dallas garage that it sat in for fifty years.  It's now in my garage and is in the process of being bathed.

See what I meant by my "Alien" comment?

USMC Stitcher.jpg

Edited by JeepishGrin

Here's a photo I found on the net.  I've also seen these in YouTube videos of shoe manufacturing from the Thirties. 

USMC Stitcher 2.PNG

JeepishGrin,

I would give Harris at Pilgrim Shoe  in Mass. a call and see if he has a manual.  You might also try Steve at Gateway Shoe in Illinois.  Both these guys have been in the shoe machine business a long time and are very knowledgeable.

glenn

Dear Shoepatcher,

Thanks a lot!  I just got off the phone with Harris at Pilgrim.  He, indeed, has a manual for my machine.  He was busy, but said he'd call me tomorrow. 

By the way, to anyone reading this thread:  As I said earlier, the man who owned my machine for about fifty years, was a USMC technician.  With his machine, I got about a dozen manuals from the 30s through 50s for other obsolete USMC shoe machines. So, if you have an obscure USMC shoe machine, I may have a manual for it.  

Thanks, again, Shoepatcher!!!  I'm glad I finally posted something on leatherworker.net.

JeepishGrin

JeepishGrin,

Glad you were able to find a manual.  I have over 75lbs of old USMC manuals but I did not have one on your machine.

glenn

Shoepatcher,

Just wanted to let you know that Harris of Pilgrim Shoe emailed the USMC "ORL" Outsole Stitching Machine manual to me today - No Charge! 

Thank you, again, for telling me about Harris and Pilgrim.  Without Harris I might have never found a manual for this very old machine. 

JeepishGrin

I'm about to pick up one of these next weekend, I think it's a different model, but very similar and it's definitely a USMC. I will know more when I pick it up but I am here to ask if a copy of the manual could be forwarded to me. If so please send me a message. I did get confirmation that pilgrim went out of business, so I didn't think i would be able to ask anyone there and get a response.