ABO

Singer 31-15

Hello,

Well I found myself a Singer 31-15 on craigslist for $150 and picked it up. I had read Wizcrafts post on it and it seems that I should be able to sew 1/4 inch with this. I'm curious if anyone can tell me how i may be able to accomplish this? I'm currently able to sew about 3/16, but that last layer puts it over the edge... Is there any reason a roller foot would help me with this?

I did get the 138 thread and #22 needles... It even seems as though the foot has the clearance for the thickness, just that the stitch won't catch. 

I appreciate any insight. 

-Andrew 

My 31-15 will not sew with any thread size over #69. It will not sew 1/4 inch of anything other than broad cloth.

My 31-15 will handle 92 thread "max" but I dont use it for anything more than 8oz or less, softer leather usually wallet interior type work. The exterior gets the 111w155 to bring it together.

Edited by MADMAX22

I will say that I like to use my 31-15 to sew thin wallet interiors together. I use #69 bonded nylon thread and a #18 leather point DBx257 needle. When it's time to sew the interior to the back I use my Singer walking foot machine, which is setup for #92 thread and has titanium needles.

The hook and bobbin case has a lot to do with the maximum thickness of thread you can use in the 31-15. My machine is very old; from the 1920s. I can't coax it to pass #92 thread. Sometimes it has trouble holding the bobbin case in place and some won't stay in at all unless I bend the positioning tab in or out. Not the best engineering in my opinion --- but it's mine.

Yeah mine the bobbin case is pretty loose but still held together. Its not as old as yours, 1946 if I remember right and its in good shape. Never intended to buy one but I saw it on CL for $80 so jumped on it. Dont see em for that price very often anymore.

56 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

Yeah mine the bobbin case is pretty loose but still held together. Its not as old as yours, 1946 if I remember right and its in good shape. Never intended to buy one but I saw it on CL for $80 so jumped on it. Dont see em for that price very often anymore.

I think I paid $150 for mine and had to drive over an hour to pick it up. I didn't need it, but my Dad had one in his tailor shop for all of my life and half of his.

It’s interesting that the 1920s machine that Wiz has doesn’t like Tex90 (#92) thread.  I’ve had and sold a 1939 model and a 1937 model that both did fine with Tex90, and I still have a 1939 model and a 1951 model that both do fine with Tex90.  Singer must have changed something between the 1920s and late 1930s.

CD in Oklahoma

1 hour ago, cdthayer said:

It’s interesting that the 1920s machine that Wiz has doesn’t like Tex90 (#92) thread.  I’ve had and sold a 1939 model and a 1937 model that both did fine with Tex90, and I still have a 1939 model and a 1951 model that both do fine with Tex90.  Singer must have changed something between the 1920s and late 1930s.

CD in Oklahoma

Not only does it not like #92 thread, but the shuttle driver position is set with a fixed pin through the shaft. The only way to get it to pass #92 thread without binding is to bend the driver outward. But, that changes the timing and creates a lot of slack between oscillation direction changes. Because the timing is fixed on the shaft, I cannot compensate for the changes made by bending the driver. It is best to come to grips with the limitations of your machines and live within them, rather than beating yourself up over things beyond your ability to change.

In the end, I bought the 31-15 to sew garments, broad cloth and wallet interiors. I have 5 other industrial sewing machines that handle heavier or more complex work, all the way up to a CB4500.

Great information, thanks everyone for their input. I think your right Wizcraft, better to accept the limitations... I have my eyes on an old singer walking foot machine, i believe its a 111, they have it priced at $600, hows that sound for price?

Best,

Andrew

35 minutes ago, ABO said:

Great information, thanks everyone for their input. I think your right Wizcraft, better to accept the limitations... I have my eyes on an old singer walking foot machine, i believe its a 111, they have it priced at $600, hows that sound for price?

Best,

Andrew

It depends on what sub-model it is (-103, -151, -153, 155, etc.), it's mechanical condition, condition of the table and type of motor. If everything works and there are no missing parts and the motor is either a servo or a slowed down clutch - and you can feather the clutch effectively - then $600 may be a reasonable price.

The older generation of 111 machines didn't have a safety clutch that disables the drive to the shuttle in case you jam the thread. That came along with the 111w155 (I think).

If the machine is missing parts, or needs replacements for worn out parts, and/or the motor needs replaced, $600 isn't such a good deal. It doesn't take long to rack up a hundred dollars for replacement parts on a 111 type machine. A new servo motor will cost about $130 to $160. If you need a bobbin winder it costs money. Ditto for a thread stand, flex lamp, knee lifter, etc, etc.

23 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The older generation of 111 machines didn't have a safety clutch that disables the drive to the shuttle in case you jam the thread. That came along with the 111w155 (I think).

My 1944 Singer 111W153 has a safety clutch, but I don’t know in what order the 111-series of machines were introduced, and I have no idea if a safety clutch could have been retro-fitted after the machine came out.

CD in Oklahoma