blacksuit

Your thoughts on machine

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-For-Leather-Much-More-15-Serviced-Tested-Guaranteed-/192086789269?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D53989173b92d49f89202a7622aa4edf4%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D16%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D261577211216&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

What are your thoughts on a machine like this to sew leather belts and simular items? Need something that will go through pretty thick stuff. I realize it isn't a boss but I'm a newbe and have never used a machine before so not wanting to drop 1500 on a machine right off the bat. After hand sewing one belt I came to realize it sucks!

Edited by blacksuit

56 minutes ago, blacksuit said:

Need something that will go through pretty thick stuff

If that's a criteria, you're better off skipping this particular machine. It's a cool sewing machine, actually, mainly because it's ancient and it says "Modern Age" right on it - how cool is that! 

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.49.50 PM.png

But for sewing "pretty thick stuff" you really do need a proper industrial machine, not a sturdy domestic machine. 

Being a newbie is actually a really good reason to drop $1,500 on a very good new machine that does exactly what you want to do, from a reputable vendor (check the banner ads). Once you get get the hang of it, you can start gambling on vintage machines on Ebay or Craigslist for your second, third,etc. .... machine. Resistance is futile.

As for that particular Ebay seller, I ordered one machine from them about two years ago and it wasn't really a good experience - missing parts, lots of grief and very poor packaging.

Edited by Uwe

1 hour ago, blacksuit said:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-For-Leather-Much-More-15-Serviced-Tested-Guaranteed-/192086789269?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D53989173b92d49f89202a7622aa4edf4%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D16%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D261577211216&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

What are your thoughts on a machine like this to sew leather belts and simular items? Need something that will go through pretty thick stuff. I realize it isn't a boss but I'm a newbe and have never used a machine before so not wanting to drop 1500 on a machine right off the bat. After hand sewing one belt I came to realize it sucks!

I don't believe that is the right machine. A lot of people on eBay show machines sewing leather. One draw back of that machine would be the size of thread it could handle.

It is a $15 domestic sewing machine. Brilliant for wallet inners etc but the seller is a crook

I created a topic about the type of machine you need to sew leather, which is stickied at the entry page of the Leather Sewing Machines forum (this forum). It is many pages long and has questions and input from many other members. It will help you redefine your requirements for a proper machine that can handle what you intend to sew.

In the scheme of things, $1500 is not a lot of money for a dedicated leather sewing machine that was built for the task and will last years, earning you mucho dinero along the way.

Would this be more what I am look for? I don't see myself need to sew anything thicker than doubled 8 ounce belts... 1/4 inch thick total. 

00D0D_NMySf5lrOy_600x450.jpg

Yes, that is one example of the kind of machine you need. Those Juki LU-562 or 563 machine are great machines and this particular one looks to be in very nice condition. 

Edited by Uwe

Good morning!

I'm putting this out here for a tip!, I really try to stay with this thinking and with your experience already hand stitching this can be more familiar.  So with your other projects did you select some thread you like the looks of for "that" particular job and then use.  I think we all can understand we can change things around a bit, yet most times with these machines the thread size is "tuned" to the machine. Some machines are really best left in a very close thread size area IMHO for yours or whoever's best interest. 

Following up is the fact that your designs may require certain size thread for the specification job. Or on another path the project might just look better to you with a certain bigger size thread, weather the strength spec. is needed.

A good idea can be checking out some local stores for these large thread sizes if they have some to view or compare. Then as a few are selected confidently for the near future projects, this is time to select a machine that is big enough to use the selection day in and day out.

Floyd

With being very knew to the craft all the experience I have with thread size is just buying what they have at hobby lobby, which is just a certain sized waxed thread (atleast what I have found.) Maybe I should just slow down a little and do some more hand sewing. I just loved making the belt that I did, I just didn't like the amount of time it took to hand sew. The wallets, sheaths and other smaller stuff I didn't mind at all hand sewing. I did read some the stickied thread and learned alot. 

Good idea, don't rush into it. Nothing wrong with hand stitching (other than the time it takes to do a belt!!). There is a lot to learn about industrial machines so keep reading. As Uwe said, buying a new machine (while the initial cost is higher) means you have a machine that will work with minimal issues. Buying used means you will probably either have to pay to have it checked/serviced or learn how to fix it yourself (assuming you haven't bought a complete lemon).

That Juki, by the way, should be more than adequate to sew belts.

So have patience, keep reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Above points being valid that juki looks really nice, assuming you get it for a fair price you can always sell it and recoupe most if not all of the initial cost. If its in as good a shape as it looks and at a fair price I would jump on it IMHO. That machine can do alot of stitching of various items. From what I have scene most of the new china machines you loose a few hundred bucks just getting it delivered to your place (not counting shipping). Granted they are new and should have a warranty and a life line theoretically however if you have issues with a used machine theres always Uwe videos and leatherworker.net.