Eldorado

What leather are they using for...?

So frequently in movies you see a kind of brown leather used for things like shoulder baldrics, belts, and straps.  It looks like its about 8-9oz, which would lead me to think its veg tan.  But, it appears to be an oily, because it seems fairy supple.  Do you think they are using Vegtan, dying it, and then heavily neetsfooting it?  Or, is there a specific leather that can be gotten that behaves this way?  Maybe its brown latigo, but I dont think I've ever seen that dark a brown available.   I could probably mimic it by sewing two layers of 3oz oily together, but these don't seem sewn.  An example of what I'm talking about is attached.

I'd like to figure out to reproduce this effect, since it is so common.  Any help would be appreciated.

Prescott

Tudor Rose Leather Workshop

www.Tudorroseleather,com

Reign_3_107.jpg

It kind of looks like the stuff Tandy calls "Kodiak" not sure though.

I make a lot of sword hangers for use in live theatre. I use Craftsman VegTan leather usually, and 7-8 oz weight. Once I have done all the punching/cutting/stamping and dyeing, I rub the leather with Mink Oil made by Kiwi (there are other brands). I rub that into the leather with a rag, then work it in deeper by hand. Not only does it protect the leather, it makes it quite supple.

You could also use a higher grade of leather than Craftsman VegTan; the Oak Leaf is pricey, but has a very soft hand.

It does kind of look like kodiak, might be a brown Montana. Or something completely different... pretty cool though.

Looks like a heavy oil tan to me. But a nice heavy bridle would be more authentic since oil tan is only a few decades old. 

Edited by Sceaden

Do not think all belts and things in movies and TV productions are always of leather. Sometimes they use plastics

My bad,  I didn't realize that some oil tan is first veg tan. A lot of modern oil tan is treated chrome tan if I understand the process correctly. 

9 hours ago, jimi said:

This was a good read. Thanks.