JLSleather

It's no wonder

It's no wonder..

that things cost what they do in this country.  I'm surrounded by a dozen levels (at least) of incompetence.  Ordered a new dishwasher, since the one in our main home was 'clicking", so I just told the buyer we'd replace it... whatever.

So I ordered it.  Tracking says shipped from WI.  Then went to OH, no idea why.  That's hundreds of miles in the wrong direction.  So I complained on about day 5.  Tracking then quickly showed transfer to some little town in northeast IA.  And at the same time, tracking shows NEW shipment from WI.  Been 9 days for something that was supposed to take 7 max.  And I don't have it yet -- or even a definite time where I might see it.  I'll give 'em 3 days, then I cancel the order and buy it from the guy who brings it and hooks it up.

Of course, the girl who took the order gets paid.  And the person who took the money gets paid.  And the person who contacts the shipper, and updates the tracking, and cancels the tracking, and re-does the tracking.  All getting paid in spite of no delivery.  No wonder the price of everything is up.

Trump signed orders 'forwarding' the work on a couple of large oil pipelines recently contested and protested in the news, which had been temporarily stalled (one by Obama's order).  Same time, there's a pipeline "spill" on an Iowa farm.... company says they'll "look into it", but not our fault (ugghh).

Paper today on and on again about shortage of child care available for working parents.  New "regulations" day care centers have to comply with caused some to just close up rather than go through the new "regulations".  Seriously?  Any idiot can see they are still taking kids... but now only accept cash either "under the table" or "not registered" as day care.  So of course, the parents don't get reimbursed (by tax payer money) so they think they should be paid more   And the "county" response is to have a meeting (with the attendees being paid) to talk about this "problem" which will of course require more funding ... 

I guess all of that will continue as long as it's tolerated.  Personally, I think the only reason you never see a city-wide or US wide idiot contest... is it's not going to be possible to declare a winner :o

And, don't get me started about insurance.  How many of us have paid insurance on our vehicle for 20+ 30+ or more years, even though we've had no accidents or driving issues?  Neat 'racket' though... who else has the govt making laws saying you have to buy our service?!@!

Always a catch 22. 

The shipping company makes a mistake on your order and its a broken system. Shipping company ships hundreds of your holsters all over the country for a few bucks a piece and its a beneficial necessity for your business that usually works great. 

Being required to have insurance sucks because it allows the "big business" to make a ton of money. Your new house burns down and your insurance company covers it so you can buy a new one without having to pay for or be out of pocket for your pile of ashes. 

Government doesnt limit business from price fixing and they charge the crap out of all the stuff you wanna buy. Price fixing is supposedly illegal and prevents business's from ganging up against the consumer (ofcourse its still widely spread just look at our advertising sewing machine dealers :lol: yep )

Your neighborhood pipeline gets shut down, now they charge you $10 a gallon to fill your truck. Although thats a whole other topic. 

No regulations on child care and now you got child care providers not doing back ground checks on there employees and end up hiring sex offenders to watch over your sons and daughters (no thanks). Regulations in place it causes increased prices which are thru the roof for child care by the way. My wife would need a full time job paying $20 an hour just to cover the expense of putting our daughter in child care all day, hence why she stays home and raises the kid. 

IMHO most of it boils down to big business not wanting to make less than a 15% (or much more) profit every quarter. They pay the politicians, now they are the politicians. But like ya say a bunch, its none of your business what someone charges for there goods. 

That would be fine if insurance paid "so I can buy... without having to pay", but truth is more like I pay the premium, the deductible, co-pays, and so on.  And that's without filing any claims.  But I'm not 'down' on paying for MY insurance... it's the idea that I'm paying for OTHER'S insurance.  When a hail storm goes through tearing up homes and cars, you get to pay.. even if you aren't one filing a claim.  When some idiot in a car not mine swipes someone in another car not mine, because 1 or both was on the phone (or drunk, or just stupid, etc)... don't send me an increased bill.

Absolutely should be regulations on day care.  Even more than there currently are.  Nice to see, though,.. if it was to actually protect the children (and less to line the pockets of those who claim they are "regulating").  Keep in mind, every drug that was ever "recalled" for killing people had been previously "approved" and "regulated" by some "authority".

22 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

none of your business what someone charges

And this is absolutely correct.  My issue is not what is being charged, but who is being charged.  When I ship finished goods, I don't send a bill to people who didn't order it :o

Long as I'm at it, I don't much like paying cops, either.  The pastor says he wouldn't want to live someplace there weren't cops -- but I think until they stop whoever has been breaking into homes.. they been paid enough :)  I have never accepted payment for something I didn't do.

Guess all I can do is minimize my involvement ...

If your getting charged for other peoples shipments I would definitely look into that lol.

It all boils down to big business and greed. The business isnt going to loose money so they will find a way to make sure that they get there profits regardless. They arent going to gamble on losing money because a few people got into accidents. They are going to charge everyone a little bit more so they can get that profit increase every quarter regardless what happens.  

45 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Long as I'm at it, I don't much like paying cops, either.  The pastor says he wouldn't want to live someplace there weren't cops -- but I think until they stop whoever has been breaking into homes.. they been paid enough :)  I have never accepted payment for something I didn't do.

Catch 22, 

Require them to get a certain number of arrest or to stop a certain amount of break ins (a regulation) what happens is what you have now they arrest and give tickets for things that dont even happen so they can meet a quota. Maybe the old school ones worked on pride and honor but as you cycle the new ones thru who are trained on a quota system it becomes ingrained and its all they know. You end up with a bunch of LEOs that treat the general public as just a income source.

44 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

it becomes ingrained and its all they know.

THIS is what I'm referring to. Not any one group of people, so much as the general apathy.  I closed a business about 10 years back because I refused to keep signing checks to people who think they should be paid simply because they showed up.

13 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That would be fine if insurance paid "so I can buy... without having to pay", but truth is more like I pay the premium, the deductible, co-pays, and so on.  And that's without filing any claims.  But I'm not 'down' on paying for MY insurance... it's the idea that I'm paying for OTHER'S insurance.  When a hail storm goes through tearing up homes and cars, you get to pay.. even if you aren't one filing a claim.  When some idiot in a car not mine swipes someone in another car not mine, because 1 or both was on the phone (or drunk, or just stupid, etc)... don't send me an increased bill.

The thing is, THAT is exactly how insurance works. It spreads the risk and cost out over a large group, so that everyone ends up paying a little (well not always a little) so one guy doesn't end up paying it all.  I would LOVE to have insurance that pays my loss but doesn't make me pay for anyone else's loss. Unfortunately, it's not possible.  I'm not defending insurance, because I hate the fact that I have to have it, and have nearly zero respect for some of the folks involved: some of them are good people just trying to make a living, others are the bottom feeders of the bottom feeders. Every year when my policies renew, I feel like I just got bent over.  A hundred years ago, nobody had insurance. If your house burned down, more often than not, the community would gather together to help rebuild your house. The Amish still live that way, they don't believe in commercial insurance. The church and the community IS their insurance.  We would have to change a lot about our system and society to eliminate our current insurance system.  But who wants to go first?

I don't so much mind insurance.  I do mind getting raped.  Where I live, renters insurance has recently become mandatory - and the price of it just increased by over fifty percent, when in theory with more people insured it should have become cheaper.  

I don't mind paying for a service IF I'm actually getting that service.  I'll do the work myself. OR I'll pay someone to do it.  Not both.  I don't go looking to find out who is the burglar, or where, or why. That's [theoretically] what the cops are for.  If you're a cop, and you cashed your check this week, then do not come round asking me to find the criminal for you :o  You got paid to find 'em, you find 'em.

Not sure how this became about insurance, really,  just one example.  But Menard's can suck it ;) All teh materials for the bath renovation at the other house are being returned (if you shop menards, the prices might go up since they'll pay that girl to handle the return).  And in the future, I'll just leave them alone.  And I will expect either teh dishwasher or the money... and at this point don't really care which.

But up there where yer at.. you know the history - been the same story for centuries (and I fully believe the facts are actually worse than stated). Push them "indians" (their word, not mine) to the black hills (under threat of death).  BUT only until they find black hills gold -- tehn that land aint the part the indians was supposed to get after all.  Move 'em again.  Now, "they" want to run an oil pipeline through land supposedly under "treaty" .... song remains the same.

1 hour ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

so that everyone ends up paying a little

Well, not everybody.  Is there even such a thing as an auto policy without "uninsured motorist" section (you know.. YOU pay for when the guy who hits you DOESN'T PAY for insurance). 

But, we haven't mentioned the BIG one... at this time of year, folks in the US are paying someone to tell them how much of their own money they are getting back (tax "refund").  So you pay tax in... then you pay someone else to get back some portion of what was already yours.  Unless you're us... in which case you get a bill, not a 'refund'.  And after paying all of that.. the 'refund' actually goes to someone who doesn't work.  Nice.  

YIKES.. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.  In today's mail... doll clothes my little girl wanted ("american girl" doll clothes, from China?@!@)) plus

• my insurance bill... f
  • a form letter from David... Allstate insurance, who can give me a no-obligation quote.... blahblah
  • a form letter from Mitch.. State Farm insurance who has the "formula for big savings.." ...blahblah.  This one actually addressed to Jeff or current resident...

Scratch Dave and Mitch.. two people who will never sell me anything.

OH.. and Great Western Bank (who I do not use) will give me $50 if I open an acount and use it 20 times ... (ughhh... does anybody actually think they aren't charging YOU for the crap they send ME?)

Edited by JLSleather

The insurance policy for my little shop came a few days ago, and I always skim through stuff like that while I’m on my throne in the mornings.  I noticed that I now have a new “Endorsement” on my policy called “Actual Cash Value”.  It essentially means that from now on, when calculating benefits for replacement of any covered damage, the damage will be reduced for depreciation for such “considerations as age, condition, reduction in useful life, obsolescence, and any pre-loss damage including wear, tear, or deterioration”.

My building is one of the oldest downtown buildings that were built when our town was established.  I’m not exactly sure when that was, but the words “age”, “obsolescence”, “wear”, and “tear” will probably apply to all of the old downtown buildings, including mine.

I had to chuckle about the page or two ahead of this new endorsement page that still had the normal chit-chat about as the purchaser of the insurance I should always consider the replacement cost when selecting coverage, and have the ability to determine the amount of coverage that I want to purchase.  Yea, sure.

It sounds to me like I just became uninsured even though I pay for insurance......

CD in Oklahoma