cjartist

Easier way to Punch Holes for Lacing

I love the look of a round or mexican braid.  However using a rotary punch kills my hands and wrists.

I recently made a seat cover with a mexican braid and punched all the holes over the course of three days.  I decided that I needed a better way.  So I ordered five of the replacement rotary hole punches, then drilled and tapped a scrap hunk of aluminum to hold them.  Now I can use my arbor press for the job.  I just punched all the holes for a similar seat cover in an hour and boy, what a difference!

Albion-20170127-00213.jpg

Albion-20170127-00214.jpg

Albion-20170127-00215.jpg

What a great idea !!

Anything that saves time and wear and tear on the body has to be good in my book

I thought everybody has been doing this for YEEEAAARRRRSSSS.  I have.

3 hours ago, catskin said:

I thought everybody has been doing this for YEEEAAARRRRSSSS.  I have.

Perhaps, but they never told me about it. ;)

I also have strap end punches and use it for stamping, when I do some, though I don't do much with stamps. The only limit on what a arbor press can do is ones imagination. I modified mine so it takes only seconds to set the handle so it is at the position you want no matter how long the tool in it.

On 1/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, cjartist said:

I love the look of a round or mexican braid.  However using a rotary punch kills my hands and wrists.

I recently made a seat cover with a mexican braid and punched all the holes over the course of three days.  I decided that I needed a better way.  So I ordered five of the replacement rotary hole punches, then drilled and tapped a scrap hunk of aluminum to hold them.  Now I can use my arbor press for the job.  I just punched all the holes for a similar seat cover in an hour and boy, what a difference!

Albion-20170127-00213.jpg

Albion-20170127-00214.jpg

Albion-20170127-00215.jpg

Awesome! What size tap/ thread did you use the for the punches? Are they the osborne rotary punches?