Sasse

What to do about keeping shine on Spots and rings etc.

I've taken up leatherworking as a hobby and recently made a dog collar for my daughter's boxer.   After a month I noticed the spots lost their shine, and also the D ring (which was nickel covered) turned a pinkish--maybe copper color.   I'm not sure where this hardware came from, possibly Tandy, but what is the best finish to buy to retain the spots shine. 

Thank you in advance for your advice.  

You have used a plated base metal for your hardware and the plating wore off and now the base metal shows through. Best bet is to use stainless steel, although it too will get dull with use. However, it won't wear off to show the base metal.  There are varying grades of stainless, and I have seen stainless steel that rusts after extended extreme exposure.  Before stainless steel became widely used in hardware for our trade, solid nickel was the choice for higher quality hardware that would not wear off to expose the base metal. It can be polished to almost a mirror finish, and easier than stainless. I don't know if solid nickel hardware is even available anymore. A lot of older, better quality harness had solid nickel hardware and spots.

I get my spots, rivets, buckles, d, o rings and rectangle keepers from The Buckle Guy. It's online.  Google it to see his stuff.

Solid 100% brass hardware or stainless that is stamped on the underside of his buckles.  

Never ever had an issue with the brass, nickel or stainless on my dogs collars or any I've sold to ppl   They eventually scratch from general wear but takes a lot of wear n tear.     I choose solid brass myself. 

Edited by BJP

Thank you everyone for your experience.  I will be careful what I order.  Thank you.