dadam38

OIl tanned leather help

I bought a side of oil tanned leather from Springfield Leather and i noticed how oily it was from the beginning. I decided to use it and i made a piece with veg tanned accents. After a few hours the oil seeped into the veg tanned leather. It doesn't look bad but i am worried about it getting into any content put into the bag. Is there a way to leech excess oil from the leather with rice or something like that?

Given that one main reason for oil tanned hides is to provide waterproof boots and shoes one can see why it might be a bit overly waxed compared to almost all other veg-tanned finishes . . but surely even when used for shoe manufacture it wouldn't be "oily" . . image just how often you'd be boiling your socks!  :blink:  Something doesn't sound at all correct with your purchase, have you asked the supplier for assistance?  Is it truly oil tanned - which often has other additives to the process - or is it actually oiled hide?  The latter is a post tanning process which is designed to heavily lubricate usually older, dry hides.

Whichever is used the leather will be a veg-tanned and for that to exude excess oil into another piece of veg-tanned hide is an indication that your purchase wasn't "fit for purpose".  Only thing I can suggest is pack your piece between layers of tissue paper under a bit of pressure and keep changing that till no oil appears . . . then ignore that hide again for projects unless you're into making leather Wellington boots.  :huh:

I did send an email to the supplier. I am waiting for the reply. But that is a good point, socks would soak up the oil if used for boots. 

On 1/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, dadam38 said:

I did send an email to the supplier. I am waiting for the reply. But that is a good point, socks would soak up the oil if used for boots. 

I have had plenty of boots over the years that incessantly leach oil into my socks.  White socks are out of the question when it comes to wearing steel toed boots in the heat of the summer here.

YinTx