particle

Pancake Holster Demonstration, A-Z

For those of you that are visual learners, like myself, I posted a video demonstrating my process of creating a pancake style holster, from initial pattern creation to final finish. I would like to emphasize that this is a fast-paced demonstration of my process, not a full-length teaching video. If you have questions about anything I'm doing, please feel free to ask here, or in the comment section of the video, or via the contact form on my website. I'm always happy to help however I can.

That's really nice Eric! Good on you for sharing. Aside from a few tool differences it matches what I do very closely.

All the best, Josh  

That's one of the best videos I've ever seen of the process. I love it! Thank you.

Thanks y'all. My plan moving forward is to make all new videos freely available on YouTube instead of behind a subscription wall on my site. Took a while to convince my wife, but she's finally on board. :)

21 minutes ago, hwhleather said:

What do you use for your finish/sealant?

I use a 50/50 mix of Resolene and water.

I love watching you work particle!  Great video.  Pretty handy with the razor knife!

Wow incredible process video.  Why is it that everything looks easy when you watch someone that knows what they are doing HA.  Superb craftsmanship.  What bevel knive did you use on the belt loop openings?

Okay, I got confused.  Using your pic, if you mark the "stitch line", and then dye / glue to that (shaded area), then what holds the shape of the holster inside the stitch line, between the line and the gun?  Or is you glue line different than the stitch line? :dunno:

unk1.jpg

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Okay, I got confused.  Using your pic, if you mark the "stitch line", and then dye / glue to that (shaded area), then what holds the shape of the holster inside the stitch line, between the line and the gun?  Or is you glue line different than the stitch line? :dunno:

I assume you're talking about the area in green? If so, yes, the stitch line could be tightened up maybe 1/8" on either side. I had another holster maker (who's been at this game a lot longer than myself) tell me my holster would be way too tight because I didn't allow any extra room for a sight channel. :dunno:

stitch-line.jpg

Yep, exactly what I was referring to -- in green.  Thanks for the reply :cheers:

9 hours ago, neilyeag said:

Wow incredible process video.  Why is it that everything looks easy when you watch someone that knows what they are doing HA.  Superb craftsmanship.  What bevel knive did you use on the belt loop openings?

Thank you! The interesting thing to me was the entire project took about 80 minutes, start to finish, including the pattern (according to the overall unedited video length). But when the whole thing takes place over 2-3 days, it seems like they take forever to complete!

Regarding the beveler - I used two different edgers. One on the straight parts, and one on the curved ends. If you're referring to the straight section, I don't recall the make & size of that edger, and I can't access my old orders on Springfield since they updated their shopping cart system since I placed the order, but it's from Springfield. I can get you whatever info is stamped on the blade if that's the one you're referring to.

If you're referring to the edger I used on the curved ends, that is an old #2 Tandy that's been sharpened (incorrectly?) so many times, the 'toes' are much shorter than they were originally. Works great on tight corners like that.

Thank you for the video, very nice work..

1 hour ago, Brianm77 said:

What did you put on there before the resolene?

Light coat of Neetsfoot oil.

Thanks for sharing.

Very well done. I learned some new techniques. Thank you for the insight.

Thank you! I actually just posted another one if you're interested in watching it. This time I included a thumb break.

30 minutes ago, carguy4471 said:

Was the mix you applied to the inside of the holster also a resolene/water ??

Yes, same mixture.