maritimemoose

Vintage Al Stohlman Swivel Knife Info

Hello folks! 

I am looking for information on this Al Stohlman Swivel Knife, i've searched and have only found a few pictures and ebay sales but that's about it. Any info would be much appreciated!

-Cheers!

2ec2da698f6e59fae1ce17600add2246.jpg

Sold by Tandy 5 to 10 years ago.  Nice large diameter barrel.  Nicely shaped yoke, easy on the fingers.  Bought it because of the yoke and barrel diameter.  Not because of the fancy work!

Tom

8 minutes ago, northmount said:

Sold by Tandy 5 to 10 years ago.  Nice large diameter barrel.  Nicely shaped yoke, easy on the fingers.  Bought it because of the yoke and barrel diameter.  Not because of the fancy work!

Tom

I was wondering as I purchased one recently, although wonderfully smooth, it's too large for me I was thinking of auctioning it on ebay to put towards a nice shorter barrelled knife. It's hard to say what they're worth, but from what I've seen on ebay it's between 150 and 250. Not much info out there.

Thanks!

And you can buy the same knife at Ivan Leather in Taiwan. http://www.ivan.tw/index.php?route=product/product/detail&id=19001

I do not know what the price is, but they will quote it if you inquire through a contact email.

On 2/3/2017 at 11:44 AM, lonesome dove said:

And you can buy the same knife at Ivan Leather in Taiwan. http://www.ivan.tw/index.php?route=product/product/detail&id=19001

I do not know what the price is, but they will quote it if you inquire through a contact email.

Its not the same knife, its a knock off because the Tandy version was a limited edition Stohlman brand knife.  One thing I can say about this knife, is that Al never touched them, saw them or knew about them because he had passed long before this knife was introduced.  Its a nice knife but its more of a collector piece now days.  The new Tandy Pro series knives are just as smooth and not nearly so expensive.

On 2017-02-04 at 5:38 PM, immiketoo said:

Its not the same knife, its a knock off because the Tandy version was a limited edition Stohlman brand knife.  One thing I can say about this knife, is that Al never touched them, saw them or knew about them because he had passed long before this knife was introduced.  Its a nice knife but its more of a collector piece now days.  The new Tandy Pro series knives are just as smooth and not nearly so expensive.

Kind of figured that link was a knock off, seeing as it was a limited run.  It's certainly not my style of knife, nor a good size for me, but it is smooth. I just picked up a short henley and will auction the stohlman likely to pay for the henley

I could be wrong as I do not own one one of each, but I'd still bet it's very likely Ivan was supplying and custom branding the "Stohlman" knife for Tandy. I will certainly agree you can't go wrong with a Henley. Excellent knife with great blades.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, lonesome dove said:

I could be wrong as I do not own one one of each, but I'd still bet it's very likely Ivan was supplying and custom branding the "Stohlman" knife for Tandy. I will certainly agree you can't go wrong with a Henley. Excellent knife with great blades.

That is a possibility I hadn't considered.  You might be right.  Still I'd pick a henley every time!

Did you ever  sell the stohlman swivel knife? If you still have it I'm  interested 

BLESSINGS, JB