TrooperChuck

Need Tips For Rough Out Leather

I'm looking for some advice on making a rough-out saddle.

I personally don't care for rough out saddles and have managed to avoid making any but I now have a customer who really, really wants me to make a rough out barrel racing saddle.  Normally, I decline these jobs but this is one of my frequent customers and, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to make the saddle.  Instead of grumbling about it, I'm trying to look at it as a chance to expand my saddlemaking/leatherworking knowledge.

So, are there any special tips or practices for rough out leather?  Which leather do you use and what do I have to do in the way of prepping it?

Get the Stohlman saddle making books.  He covers a rough out saddle build pretty well.

Thanks.  I have those books, but it's been so long since I've looked at them I forgot the section on rough out.  thanks for reminding me.

When ordering your leather, make sure that you make it clear that it is for a rough out saddle.  Also, request the sides to be leveled.  I saw first hand during a contest that I entered how this process really makes the saddle stand out.  Needless to say, mine wasn't made with leveled sides.  Other than that, rough out construction procedures aren't any different.  It's the final oiling procedure that bothers me; what's too much oil and not enough?  I took a hit on my contest saddle because I didn't oil it enough for the judge.  Good luck.

Ron

I make a lot of rough out saddles. You can do it the hard way or the easy way. The easy way is to order Hermann Oak buffed leather from your supplier and build the saddle. Looks great. The hard way is to get regular skirting and sand it. This takes as almost as long as stamping one and the results are not as good as buying the buffed.

Good luck,

CW